We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit ocean

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ogden, Utah
Visit ocean

We want to see the ocean and are thinking Oregon. Will drive from northern Utah (myself, husband, 3 kids 13,15,18). Don't enjoy crowds. Want some chill time. Have only seen the Pacific once 10 years ago. Thanks for any suggestions.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 24
11. Re: Visit ocean

If you're hoping to avoid "crowds", I'd also have a look at Bandon. Nice little downtown, dramatic beachscapes, and not far from dune buggy rides in North Bend. You golfer husband has almost certainly heard of Bandon Dunes Resort, one of the top golf destinations in the world. If he doesn't want to spring for the outrageous greens fees, he could play Bandon Crossings, another very nice course, at a fraction of the cost.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
reviews: 40
12. Re: Visit ocean

Tons of things to do in Newport.

http://discovernewport.com/

Oregon
reviews: 26
13. Re: Visit ocean

We made a last-minute decision to go to the coast last year over the 4th and were able to find a place to stay, so there's hope!

I would opt for Newport. It's centrally located for jaunts to scenic areas north and south. There are enough motels and restaurants to provide tourist facilities, but it's manageable in terms of crowds. Kids might enjoy the two lighthouses, walking the fishing docks, crabbing, fishing, whalewatching, going to the aquarium, and the usual beach antics. Agate Beach golf course is a few miles north; Salishan [more upscale] is a bit further north. If your teens are into shopping, there are some shops at Nye Beach and along the old bayfront. Lincoln City is north of Newpor and the home to an outlet mall if your kids like that type of thing [no sales tax in Oregon].

Last year we went to Yachats for the 4th [south of Newport about 20 miles]; it was quite charming with small crafts fair, a small parade, free ice cream, and fireworks. I recall Yachats and Waldport have their fireworks on different nights. I believe Newport has fireworks as well.

Have fun planning!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 738
14. Re: Visit ocean

Waldport fireworks are on July 3rd.

Newport and Yachats are on July 4th.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 36
15. Re: Visit ocean

And Depoe Bay no longer has fireworks. They scared the poor birds. We were there two years ago and enjoyed them. We were there last year on 4th no fireworks. we spend 4th somewhere else this year.

Taft still has fireworks, I think

Edited: 4:19 pm, June 06, 2013
Ogden, Utah
16. Re: Visit ocean

Thanks for ALL of the very useful information. I'm sure I can make this work.

17. Re: Visit ocean

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 08, 2014