We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit ocean

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ogden, Utah
Visit ocean

We want to see the ocean and are thinking Oregon. Will drive from northern Utah (myself, husband, 3 kids 13,15,18). Don't enjoy crowds. Want some chill time. Have only seen the Pacific once 10 years ago. Thanks for any suggestions.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
reviews: 13
1. Re: Visit ocean

When will you be coming??

Newport can be crowded during the summer, but certainly not "Big City" crowded. Yachats, ~20 miles south is a small town (population under 1000) and is quite beautiful and peaceful. Manzanita, along the northern coast might even be a better option as it is closer to Portland.

http://www.neahkahnie.net/

Ogden, Utah
2. Re: Visit ocean

Planning on July 5-11 (starting to really worry about my late planning though!)

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 42
3. Re: Visit ocean

Yes suggest you get reservations very soon. Are you thinking of one place or want to move?

Kids that age might enjoy Seaside, some rides and games there.

Suggest you get at least as far south as Florence. Kids would enjoy dune buggies there, plus Yachats to Florence very nice coast line.

Ogden, Utah
4. Re: Visit ocean

Thanks. Not too much driving as husband is not as interested as I am. He would like to golf if you know a good place the public is welcome? I have researched seaside some but am leery of crowds. Would love some ocean wildlife but not so much human wildlife!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 795
5. Re: Visit ocean

Oh dear, you're running a little late ;-)

Okay, overall the north coast is the *most* crowded and congested. True it's not "big city" type but roads are limited here, some towns are very small and yes, they do get very congested.

Next is the central coast. Already this year Newport is congested - probably due to finally getting some sunshine!

The farther south you go, the less crowded it is, but of course the farther away from your home as well.

The flip side of the coin is that a teeny, uncrowded town such as Yachats has little to attract teens unless they love to walk and hike. There's not much to "do" in Yachats :-) However, Newport is just an easy 30-35 minutes away for golf, lighthouses, bay tours, shopping, etc. Florence has the dune buggies and golfing as well.

Waldport is another town between Yachats and Newport that is *not* crowded at all, but close to Newport and not too far from Florence. There is a golf course in Waldport but I know nothing about it since I don't golf. You'll see lots of Harbor Seals in the bay at Waldport, and sometimes elk just inland a few miles.

Ogden, Utah
6. Re: Visit ocean

Thanks for the info - I have a lot to figure out in a short amount of time!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
reviews: 13
7. Re: Visit ocean

Manzanita has a small, 9-hole, public golf course with some fantastic views.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
8. Re: Visit ocean

Don't think i would take 3 teenagers to Yachats. Newport better choice cause you can get a place on beach. And Newport has a lot to do for kids.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
9. Re: Visit ocean

As for golf on central coast Salishan is very nice though a bit spendy. It is a higher class course. Of the more public places we prefer Toledo, challenging course. We have played Agate Beach, Chinook Winds, Waldport, and Neskowin. Have not played in Florence

Edited: 6:17 pm, June 05, 2013
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
reviews: 70
10. Re: Visit ocean

As someone with kids, I completely agree with phirl.