We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Newport/Florence area

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
reviews: 28
Staying in Newport/Florence area

I'm planning a trip to the Oregon Coast around Labor Day. So far I have 2 nights booked in Newport and one in Florence. I want to do whale watching in the Depoe Bay area and also see the sand dunes, sea lion caves and go to some other photographic locations in the area. Do I need to spend a 3rd night in Florence or is all this feasible in 2 days/nights from Newport? Thanks!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 39
1. Re: Staying in Newport/Florence area

If you have the time spend a night in Florence. Easy to fill your time well at the coast.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
reviews: 13
2. Re: Staying in Newport/Florence area

It is only about a 1 hr drive from Newport to Florence, and there is a lot to do/see in between the two. If you are really considering three nights, I would spend them all at Newport.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
reviews: 90
3. Re: Staying in Newport/Florence area

Yes, stay a third night in Florence. Spend some time at the Dunes, Hecata Head Lighthouse. Personally, I would skip Sea Lion Caves. You will probably see more sea lions sitting on the docks at Newport. The caves are really smelly and not worth the price of admission IMO. However, I'm not a big fan of sea lions. When I'm fishing 70 miles upriver from the ocean and a sea lion takes a nice spring salmon right off my fishing pole, it is really annoying.

Also, not sure how many whales you will see in September. That is between migration times. My kids went on a whale watching tour at Depoe Bay, and never saw a whale, but some of the family got really seasick.

I've seen the gray whales up close in the winter in Hawaii, but have also gone on an orca whale watch tour in the San Juan Islands in Washington where we saw whales, but they were so far away that you needed a really good set of binoculars to see them. Check this website--

visittheoregoncoast.com/whale-watching/

Much to see and do around Newport. The Oregon Coast is spectacular. I think it is the most beautiful in the country. Maine rates #2. Enjoy your visit.

Edited: 12:11 pm, May 29, 2013
Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
reviews: 45
4. Re: Staying in Newport/Florence area

Newport, OR

http://discovernewport.com/

Yachats/Cape Perpetua

fs.fed.us/r6/…

Miami, Florida
reviews: 28
5. Re: Staying in Newport/Florence area

Thanks for all your help. I heard there are some resident gray whales that spend the summer at Depoe Bay and it's actually the best time to see the gray whales there, but we'll see. The sea lion caves may be smelly but it seems very unique and something I'd have to see. We don't get any sea lions in Florida. So I guess I'll stick with 2 nights in Newport and 1 in Florence.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 39
6. Re: Staying in Newport/Florence area

There are resident whales in Depoe Bay area. Unfortunately I have not marked down when we have seen them. Fairly often, but not every time we go.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
reviews: 45
7. Re: Staying in Newport/Florence area

Whether or not you see the caves, in Newport's Olde Towne, along the docks (worth walking, several things to see), you'll hear and see Sea Lions in and out of the water. Funny show.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 761
8. Re: Staying in Newport/Florence area

Phirl is right. I have lived in the general area for many years. We also see them from Yachats, off Yaquina Head in Newport and Otter Crest any time of the year.

Sea Lion cave is unique.

9. Re: Staying in Newport/Florence area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 31, 2014