We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Newport Guidance required

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cairo, Egypt
reviews: 123
Staying in Newport Guidance required

I have been advised to chose Newport over Yachats for part of our family holiday.We are family of 4 older teenage girls age 18/20 and hubby & I. Enjoy walking, shopping, cinema, museums, sight seeing etc Can you give me some advice, we prefer quieter places as opposed to mad, millions of kids running about locations. When we were on the East Coast we stayed in Cape May as opposed to Wildwood and having visited Wildwood for half a day really felt that that would not have suited us at all. Trying to get a feel of Newport, so hoping you can give advice. Stayed in Myrtle Beach and enjoyed what it had to offer, trying to offer these comparisons so people can get some sort of a feel of what would work for us. That is not easy but your thoughts would be appreciated. I am , considering the Hallmark and the plan would be 3nights at their Cannon Beach place followed by 4 at Newport or should I do 4 at cannon beach. Heading on to Portland after that. looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

Portland, OR
reviews: 43
1. Re: Staying in Newport Guidance required

You will not find millions of kids running around in Newport. It is a nice city on the beach with plenty to offer in ways of entertainment, beach walking, dining and exploring the town.

Portland, OR
2. Re: Staying in Newport Guidance required

You will not find millions of kids running around in Newport. It is a nice city on the beach with plenty to offer in ways of entertainment, beach walking, dining and exploring the town.

You may want to consider renting a house or an apartment in Newport. Check out VRBO.com

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 36
3. Re: Staying in Newport Guidance required

If you enjoyed Myrtle Beach, Newport will be a less busy experience. We passed through there and were glad we were passing through, pretty busy place. I had to look up Wildwood, not familiar place to me. looked pretty bad for crowds.

You can go on the beach at Newport and feel like you have it almost to yourself. Most of the beachfront motels are 82 stair steps above the beach. I counted them.

Cannon Beach places are closer to beach. It can seem a little busy at times. Two teenage girls might enjoy it more. if you are looking for easy beach time.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 36
4. Re: Staying in Newport Guidance required

I did not read your Yachats post till just now, I usually let others speak for Yachats. cause I favor Newport. I can see why you have settled on Newport.

Be sure to take those girls to Mark Hatfield Marine Science Center. Kind of hands on place with helpful volunteers. Aquarium also quite good.

I have more than once dropped off people at Devils Punch Bowl, so they could walk down Beverly Beach to parking area near CG where I meet them.

Yaquina Head lighthouse a good visit. If you can catch a low tide tide pools nearby can be good. I like their Museum there.

You could whale watch in Depoe Bay

Visit Newport Bayfront and see the sea lions

Edited: 12:23 pm, April 27, 2013
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 751
5. Re: Staying in Newport Guidance required

The Hallmark has a good location within walking distance of the Nye Beach area. You might also look at the Elizabeth Street Inn, the Whaler and the Inn at Nye Beach (formerly Greenstone). The Shilo is also right there but is a bit older. That's assuming you folks are interested in the Nye Beach area! Here is some info about it:

http://www.nyebeach.org/

If you want to be a little away from people, look at Little Creek Cove. The drawback here is that other than the beach, there is nothing interesting within walking distance.

All I know about Myrtle Beach is from taking a quick look via google / satellite. It looks like wall-to-wall buildings, people and huge hotels! You won't find anything like that on the Oregon coast.

Portland, OR
6. Re: Staying in Newport Guidance required

I have been to both Wildwood and Myrtle Beach. You won't find anything even close to those crowds anywhere on the Oregon coast.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
reviews: 70
7. Re: Staying in Newport Guidance required

As PDXWindjammer says, you will not see any similarities between our coast and the areas you are mentioning. We have lived all up and down the east coast with the military, so have lived in many of those places and it is night and day from here.

As for a place to stay, our family has had a few great stays at the Elizabeth Street Inn. Our kids are near the same ages as yours, and this hotel works well for us. The location is very nice, and the hotel sits sort of on a bluff. Not high up, but to get to the beach you either walk down a bunch of stairs or go a block or so to the main entrance of the beach with a parking lot, etc. All rooms here are oceanfront, which is really nice, and they all have balconys. The rooms are spacious and have a nice sitting area with a fireplace, which even during the summer is sometimes needed. They do have a complimentary breakfast, but we prefer to head over to the Nye Beach shopping/restaurant area and hit Cafe Stephanie as it is really good.

Dallas, Oregon
reviews: 264
8. Re: Staying in Newport Guidance required

In addition to the recommended breakfast at Café Stephanie, a slice of pizza from the Panini Bakery the Nye Beach area makes a very satisfying casual lunch. One slice is quite huge -- I'd estimate about an eighth of a 20-inch pie. Lots of varieties -- all good. Baked goods (bread, pastries, cinnamon and caramel rolls) are all yummy, too.

9. Re: Staying in Newport Guidance required

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 30, 2014