We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Razor Clam Digging

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Union, Oregon
reviews: 173
Razor Clam Digging

We are spending 2 nights in Newport at Nye Beach. Is there any good clamming nearby?

27 replies to this topic
Portland, OR
reviews: 43
1. Re: Razor Clam Digging

I don't think so. I have gone digging in Long Beach, WA. I know that Buoy Boy near Seaside often has fresh razors but not sure where they dig them.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 13
2. Re: Razor Clam Digging

the best razor clamming tends to be on the north coast- north of Tillamook. But there may be a few near Newport-Agate Beach might be good. Make sure to get an ODFW clamming license... Im assuming this is sometime in the near future- clamming is useally closed during the summer months-at least in Clatsop county...

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 738
3. Re: Razor Clam Digging

People do find razors around Newport and sometimes Waldport, but as Chinookgrrl said, most of them are farther north. I think the Newport area is open year round, but am not 100% sure.

reviews: 707
4. Re: Razor Clam Digging

We have good luck at Sunset Beach on the north coast in Gearhart. Bell Bouy (not Bouy Boy) is a great place to purchase them in Seaside. Have fun! :).

Portland, OR
5. Re: Razor Clam Digging

Ha ha! Yes, Bell Buoy!

Vancouver...
6. Re: Razor Clam Digging

Long Beach, Washington is famous for their razor clam digging, both morning and evening low tides. You do need a Washington license. If anybody is interested, go to Funbeach.com for digging dates and all sorts of information about Long Beach.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 24
7. Re: Razor Clam Digging

Didn't DaBride say they're staying in Nye Beach? Gearhart and Long Beach, WA are a looonnnggg ways from Nye Beach!

Dallas, Oregon
reviews: 263
8. Re: Razor Clam Digging

If you can't find them on the beach, check out the fresh fish selection at Local Ocean Seafoods on the Bayfront. Seems I saw some in the case when we stopped in a few weeks ago for lunch and bought crabcakes to take home.

Vancouver...
9. Re: Razor Clam Digging

Yes she did, thru. My post was for anybody interested in clamming, ergo my wording: "If anybody is interested, go to Funbeach.com for digging dates and all sorts of information about Long Beach."

Portland, OR
10. Re: Razor Clam Digging

We have a place in Newport and in all my years I have never seen a single person digging for razor clams in Newport. I did a little google search and found that 95% of razor clams in Oregon oare found between the Columbia River and Seaside. That means only 5% are found in the entire length of the Oregon Coast.

Sure, the OP is staying in Nye Beach but why try to clam in an area where there is such a slim chance of digging one up when they can take a nice drive up the beach and have a heck of a lot better chance of digging up their dinner.

…state.or.us/MRP/…index.asp

Reply to: Razor Clam Digging
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted