We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying seafood in Newport

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pensacola, FL
reviews: 20
Buying seafood in Newport

We're planning a visit in Sept. 2013 and plan to stay at a condo in the Newport area. Are there seafood markets where we can buy our own seafood to cook in our condo? I ask because we assumed that in Alaska only to find it was very difficult to find - seems most of the salmon is kept by the fishermen and the king crab was sent off for processing. Thanks!

Dallas, Oregon
reviews: 263
1. Re: Buying seafood in Newport

Best choice is Local Ocean Seafoods on the Bay Front -- a little farther down from most of the other shops and restaurants

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 13
2. Re: Buying seafood in Newport

Also the Lighthouse Deli/South Beach fish Market at the south end of the Newport bridge...

Dallas, Oregon
3. Re: Buying seafood in Newport

I keep forgetting about the South Beach Fish Market. I love their fish and chips and their smoked seafood. Haven't bought any fresh fish to take home, however.

Portland, OR
reviews: 43
4. Re: Buying seafood in Newport

My favorite is the South Beach Fish Market.

One thing to keep in mind is that LOS and SBFM have high prices. I can't remember what the price of dungeness was when I was at SBFM but I think it was something like $13 a lb. The grocery store near my house in Portland sells it for about $5 a lb.

There is a place called Yaquina Bay Oyster Farm that would be a good place to pick up fresh oysters and it is a short drive from the bay front.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 751
5. Re: Buying seafood in Newport

Good suggestions above. You will also see homemade signs when somebody is seling fish off their boat, such as tuna. Just go down to the bayfront, east end.

Dallas, Oregon
6. Re: Buying seafood in Newport

Mrs. OJ and our adult son just spent a couple days at our Worldmark resort in Depoe Bay and brought back crabcakes from Local Ocean. Had them for dinner last night -- and will again tonight. YUM!!

Edited: 7:58 pm, February 02, 2013
7. Re: Buying seafood in Newport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, February 18, 2014