We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon Coast Beach Creatures and Seashells?

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Plymouth, Minnesota
reviews: 40
Oregon Coast Beach Creatures and Seashells?

We will be traveling northbound from Florence to Astoria (4 days/3 nights). We have a six-year-old son who loves searching for and admiring creatures of any kind. Any beaches that we may be able to spot any kind of crabs, star fish, washed up jellyfish? How about seashells? Thanks for your suggestions.

Oregon
reviews: 21
1. Re: Oregon Coast Beach Creatures and Seashells?

Best up near me IMO is Indian Beach, take the furthest north Cannon Beach exit, and take a left to ECOLA ST. PARK. There is a nominal parking fee. Go at low tide obviously these are tidal animals. And hold a hand and try not to step on barnales

The Newport Oregon Aquarium would be a must see.

Consider the Sea Lion Caves.

Haystack Rock in Cannon Beach has an awareness program out there.. daily I think and they are well educated and informative, and excellent with kids.

You could also consider going crabbing, you could do it in Seaside without having to go out into a boat, just off off the bridges or down at the estuary, it is one of our favorite places.

I am sure there are other places for crabbing in a similar manner it is just the one I am familiar with.

Also the cove in Seaside you can see Starfish and my niece found hermit crabs when she went last.

Hope that helps a bit

Oregon
reviews: 21
2. Re: Oregon Coast Beach Creatures and Seashells?

Here are a couple write ups-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i3469-Cannon_Be…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i2420-Astoria_A…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i2374-Cannon_Be…

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 14
3. Re: Oregon Coast Beach Creatures and Seashells?

Great GoLists Rivergallery!!

I can only second the Haystack Rock recommendations..we loved walking the beach in Cannon Beach..

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
reviews: 12
4. Re: Oregon Coast Beach Creatures and Seashells?

Nearly every park and wide spot between Florence and Yachats has tide pools with good access. Cape Perpetua is by far the best, perhaps the best on the coast, but there are other's too, such as Strawberry Hill, Neptune, Yachats Ocean Road and Smelt Sands, with the Historic 804 Trail.

reviews: 708
5. Re: Oregon Coast Beach Creatures and Seashells?

My husband was surfing at Ave U yesterday here in Seaside and found a miniature sand dollar. Very cool! I would also suggest a stop at the Oregon Coast Aquarium which is very nice, there is also small aquarium here in Seaside on the prom that he may enjoy. He can feed the seals here, too! Have a great time exploring the coast! :)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 751
6. Re: Oregon Coast Beach Creatures and Seashells?

Newport : Make sure to see Yaquina Head Natural Area. There is a classic lighthouse, open for tours, an interpretive center (although may be boring for a six-year-old), and beautiful tidepools perfect for exploring. You can pretty much always see seals in the area, and often whales.

Still in Newport, head for the Bayfront. The sea lions climb right up on the docks and you can see them up close. This makes a nice alternative to going into the Sea Lion Caves, although that is quite a unique experience.

The Newport Aquarium was just voted among the "Top 10 Best Aquariums for Kids", according to Parents Magazine. It is the only one in the Top 10 which is not in/near a major metropolitan area. You also may want to stop in to the Marine Science Center, located near the Aquarium. Operated by Oregon State University, it is free, and also has "touching tanks".

Even if you do not want to rent the equipment to try crabbing, it is fun to watch. Waldport has a small dock, also people crab off several dock areas along the Newport bayfront. Kids love watching the crabbing activity!

Cape Perpetua is beautiful, and if it is a clear day, take the 10 minute drive to the top, then stroll to the lookout hut. You can see for many miles.

Hillsboro, Oregon
reviews: 110
7. Re: Oregon Coast Beach Creatures and Seashells?

We always see very cool creatures at low tide surrounding Haystack Rock in Cannon Beach. One of our first times on the coast we were told by a local to try Acadia Beach for finding Sand Dollars. We saw THOUSANDS of them. Have been back since and not as many. I am not sure if it was after a storm or if it is a certain time of year that is better for that. Acadia is a small beach- be very careful to look for athe sign. I believe it is south of Cannon Beach before Manzinita. It is marked though- you park and walk down a sloped path to get to the beach below the parking turnout.

8. Re: Oregon Coast Beach Creatures and Seashells?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, September 06, 2009