We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Medford Area This Spring

Which Medford hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
reviews: 11
Driving to Medford Area This Spring

My wife, son (10) and I plan to go on a little road trip to southern Oregon around April 1st. We live in the SF Bay Area and just want to explore what's north of us. We don't have a travel agenda and just plan to go with the moment, but we have a few questions.

1.) Will weather be a factor around that time (driving in rain, late snow, etc.)?

2.) We typically prefer Hilton or Marriott properties and we're thinking of using Medford as a home base to visit the surrounding areas. Can anyone recommend a kid friendly hotel for two nights (nice to avoid traffic noise outside, some quiet rooms with decent indoor pool)?

Edited: 10:47 pm, January 20, 2011
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
reviews: 125
1. Re: Driving to Medford Area This Spring

Not sure why you picked Medford; Ashland would be a more appropriate tourism base. That said, however, April 1st could pose weather challenges. We have difficulty forecasting the weather accurately a day or two in advance, so April 1st is a crap shoot at best. Siskiyou Pass between Yreka and Ashland CAN get snow and ice well into April. Rain is a likelihood.

http://www.osfashland.org/

The Oregon Shakespeare Festival will be underway and well worth your family catching a play or two (it's not all Shakespeare). I think one of the Best Westerns in Ashland has an indoor pool. So does the Super 8. There are a few more upscale inns in town, but you won't find any big HIltons or Marriotts. Lots of b&bs, as well.

If you haven't been to the Redwoods and up the southern Oregon Coast, you might consider that itinerary instead of going to Medford. You can still encounter rain, but there won't be a snow risk. You'll also have more to see and do than chugging up I-5 north of Sacramento. Shasta Lake area is pretty (in good weather), but is more of a summer destination.

When you say you want to explore the "surrounding area," did you have anything special in mind? Because lots of the surrounding area (including Crater Lake) will still be snowbound mountains.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 42
2. Re: Driving to Medford Area This Spring

I agree with poppa, closer to coast could be good in April.

Crater Lake is a good visit, but better later in year.when the snow is gone.

But in Medford area you can visit Jacksonville, historic place, drive up to Union Creek to see Rogue Gorge and Natural bridge

San Francisco...
3. Re: Driving to Medford Area This Spring

Looks like we may end up delaying our trek of Southern Oregon until after Crater Lake is more accessible. We initially chose Medford, because we have some free Marriott stays (Courtyard, Springhill Suites, etc.) and it's close to smaller towns like Ashland and Jacksonville. It's a nice change of pace for us to get away from all the traffic and congestion (we live within minutes of Napa and I'm in San Francisco every weekday).

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 795
4. Re: Driving to Medford Area This Spring

Another attraction in the area is southern Oregon's only ghost town:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g28958-d1898…

The rim road that goes completely around Crater Lake won't (usually) be fully open until some time in June, but CL becomes more accessible by late May. You may want to avoid Memorial Day weekend, though.

San Francisco...
5. Re: Driving to Medford Area This Spring

Thank you all for your help. We'll delay our plans until late Spring or maybe Summer. I want to avoid the big cities like Portland. I think Crater Lake will be our primary goal to visit, along with towns like Ashland and Jacksonville. After dealing with a daily + hour commute into SF, doing very little and just walking around towns like these is a real treat. Thanks again everyone!

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
reviews: 19
6. Re: Driving to Medford Area This Spring

In Medford I usually stay at the Homewood, which is a Hilton "brand" of hotel. I like it, and it's a good option when you are traveling with kids since they offer breakfast, plus have a pool and a small basketball court. You should check out the reviews here on TA.

While I agree that Medford itself has little to offer tourists it sounds like a reasonable and central base for your trip. If you want to use up your credits that is probably your best bet.

Central Point...
7. Re: Driving to Medford Area This Spring

From your description, I think you will really enjoy both Ashland and Jacksonville. We have live din Medford for 20+ years and still enjoy talking a day to just browse Jacksonville. It seems like we find something new each time.

If you are hikers, J'ville has quite a network of historic hiking trails that are well maintained and documented. We usually pick one or 2 and have fun for a day. The level of difficulty starts at very easy and goes up to moderate.

With a base in Medford, you might look into going to the Oregon Caves just outside Cave Junction. The caves are good, but not huge. It is a fun trip into some pretty scenic areas of Southern Oregon. The caves are open all year, but I would recommend the summer. Take a picnic lunch and make a full day of it.

http://www.nps.gov/orca/index.htm

Central Point...
8. Re: Driving to Medford Area This Spring

From your description, I think you will really enjoy both Ashland and Jacksonville. We have live din Medford for 20+ years and still enjoy talking a day to just browse Jacksonville. It seems like we find something new each time.

If you are hikers, J'ville has quite a network of historic hiking trails that are well maintained and documented. We usually pick one or 2 and have fun for a day. The level of difficulty starts at very easy and goes up to moderate.

With a base in Medford, you might look into going to the Oregon Caves just outside Cave Junction. The caves are good, but not huge. It is a fun trip into some pretty scenic areas of Southern Oregon. The caves are open all year, but I would recommend the summer. Take a picnic lunch and make a full day of it.

http://www.nps.gov/orca/index.htm

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 795
9. Re: Driving to Medford Area This Spring

Hours for cave tours - they close in the winter and will start up again in late March. Note the additional closures in April, though.

www.nps.gov/orca/planyourvisit/hours.htm

reviews: 740
10. Re: Driving to Medford Area This Spring

We are in Ashland right now, we love it here! The Stratford Inn has a nice indoor pool and great rates. We have stayed many, many times at The Plaza Inn & Suites, they don't have an indoor pool but there is an outdoor hot tub and it is a very family-friendly property with breakfast included with your room. Have a great trip! :)