We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoiding I-5 through Portland to Lincoln City

Which Lincoln City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tacoma
Avoiding I-5 through Portland to Lincoln City

I am driving to Lincoln City from Tacoma, Washington. I do not want to pass through Portland. If I take I-205? to bypass...what exit do I take to get back to 99W?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 28
1. Re: Avoiding I-5 through Portland to Lincoln City

Well, you could take I-5 North for a very short run after I-205 and take the first exit (Tualatin-Sherwood Road) and head West to join 99W. That is what we usually take when heading to the valley.

I-205 and 99W do not intersect or really pass by each other. (they are on opposite sides of Portland) and I-205 ends just below Tualatin and you have to take either I5 North or South.

Were you just wanting to avoid traffic? Or were you wanting to trace 99W? I think reliving that old route is fun, Iv'e done Hiway 99 through SW Washington just to drive what is left.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 754
2. Re: Avoiding I-5 through Portland to Lincoln City

Lots of traffic on 205. In my family's experience.

You can cross the Columbia at Longview, then take Hwy 30 south then cut down to 26 (sorry I don't know that road name ,maybe Cornelius Pass?) , then get on Hwy 47 southbound which will take you to Hwy 18 then just follow that to Lincoln City.

We've done that both north and south bound and missed all the Portland mess :-)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 28
3. Re: Avoiding I-5 through Portland to Lincoln City

If it was just for traffic - I would do just like what half-Brit said. But since the OP said "rejoin" 99 - I was thinking they were wanting to follow the old Hiway. It used to go from border to border.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
4. Re: Avoiding I-5 through Portland to Lincoln City

Good point. It's funny - on the Calif forums everybody still calls it "Highway" 99 even though it's been all freeway (except for a little section north of Sacramento) for at least 20 years! There are occasional posts asking about the traffic lights ;-)

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 39
5. Re: Avoiding I-5 through Portland to Lincoln City

What are you trying to avoid? Recently we have take I-405 through downtown. to avoid the mess on I-5 by the Rose Garden.

I worked downtown for 17 years. We always took Barbur Blvd from Tigard in and out of downtown. but that was rush hour. I still do often if I-5 up the hill is messy.

I am not sure I-205 gains you much. It also has a lot of traffic and it narrows to 2 lanes each direction south from Oregon City At busy times that can just crawl. plus 205 is 10 miles longer from where they separate in WA and where they come back together in OR. and even more difference if you want to use 99W.

Tacoma
6. Re: Avoiding I-5 through Portland to Lincoln City

Wow...thanks everyone for responding so quickly! I was just trying to avoid the traffic through Portland after crossing the Columbia River bridge from Wash to Oregon. We are leaving Tacoma about 8:00 a.m. and should be nearing Portland about 11:00am. Is traffic bad around 11:00? Would it just be better to stay on I-5 and take Salem exit to Tigard? We really like the drivefrom Tigard through Yamhill and McMinnville. Oregon is sooo beautiful. I'm jealous and would like to retire there! 10 more years to do that!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 39
7. Re: Avoiding I-5 through Portland to Lincoln City

That is Exit 294 off I-5, I would not call it Salem exit. Tigard or Coast exit. At 11 you should be ok on I-5.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
8. Re: Avoiding I-5 through Portland to Lincoln City

Mid day traffic is just normal traffic unless there is an accident. Heavy of course but not slow-n-stop usually.

Renton, WA
9. Re: Avoiding I-5 through Portland to Lincoln City

We always take 405 instead of 205...it runs west of the freeway. 205 takes you w-a-a-a-a-y out of the way. Take exit 302B and keep to the right. Follow signs to Salem.

10. Re: Avoiding I-5 through Portland to Lincoln City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, December 15, 2013