We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best beach to go to with a dog?

Which Lincoln City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maple Ridge, Canada
reviews: 57
best beach to go to with a dog?

We will be in Lincoln City in May with my Mom & Dad and their dog who loves the beach.....(parents and the dog). I was just looking for advise on where would the best place to go. We would like to spend a good part of the day on the beach, so somewhere that would be good for the dog and maybe some tide pools and nice sand for the rest of us.

Thanks for any advice!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
reviews: 13
1. Re: best beach to go to with a dog?

All the beaches in the area are nice, but in May they will likley be crowded. For this, and other (legal) reasons, please be sure the pooch is under voice command, at a minimum, at all times. If not, then a leash is required.

The exception to the above, is the beach directly in front of a State Park (such as Roads End), where dogs must be kept on a leash at all times.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
reviews: 81
2. Re: best beach to go to with a dog?

Hi Leann,

We camp and I enjoy our time on the beach with Bogart, our dog at Cape Lookout. Some nice hiking nearby the camp. It's a State Park on the Three Capes drive. There is a day area there also.

It's further up the coast but our coast is fairly short at just under 400 miles total.

Mrso

Edited: 8:08 am, February 11, 2012
Portland, Oregon
reviews: 30
3. Re: best beach to go to with a dog?

Just to remind you of dengay's comment that dogs must be kept on a leash at state park beaches, like Cape Lookout.

"It's further up the coast but our coast is fairly short at just under 400 miles total."

I've seen you make this sort of comment several times, MrsO, but am not sure what you mean by it. Especially in the context your usual recommendation that visitors spend 2 - 3 days of a 7 day vacation in the 70-miles between Troutdale and The Dalles.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
4. Re: best beach to go to with a dog?

We live here and often take a drive on camping trips from Cape Lookout to Lincoln City. We love the drive along the coast. We are only used to the west coast. California is a long drive for the coast. I am not faimiliar with Washington Coast but in mapping it, and the few visits we've taken because of the shapes of it and the water bodies that you must go around it seems like it would be a longer drive for a coastal drive. I don't wonder onto the Washington forums much for that reason.

Most people I know go to a region to spend their vacation but don't travel the whole state. In the Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area there are so many geological attractions (waterfalls, rivers, creeks, mountains, swimming holes, hikes)and attractions like the Mt. Hood Steam Train, Fruit Loop, Stern Wheeler, Bonneville Dam and Locks (AND MORE) that it makes sense to stay in that 77 mile area for 2 or 3 days (or more) Booking those attractions and taking them takes days.

On the coast, it's a lovely drive but we prefer to stay in one location and drive up and down the coast. We have tried Pacific City but we both agree that we like Cape Lookout when we go. If you are in Astoria, it takes more time to go up and down the coast. It's at the tip of the state. Cape Lookout is somewhat Central Oregon Coast.

I take a lot of heat in here, but neither Bend nor the coast nor any other place in Oregon have the distinction of being a National Scenic Area. Only the Gorge. I have never questioned anyone else about their recommendations But I constantly get quizzed.

Of course maybe I am more old fashioned than many travelers. I don't think so. I think vacations are for exploring and resting. Not a mad dash to exhaust you.

I hesitated to offer Cape Lookout. That is not the location the OP requested. But it is within normal drive times to not wear them out. He asked for dog friendly beaches and this beach is very dog friendly. Long walks with the dog and not too crowded in the early morning walks we have taken. We are trained to offer something reasonable, not deter the visitors from visiting what they want.

Thanks for asking.

Mrso

Edited: 1:55 pm, February 11, 2012
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
reviews: 110
5. Re: best beach to go to with a dog?

In my opinion, some of us try too hard to convince others that they should do what we find rewarding rather than first trying to discover what the OP's tastes and interests are and then trying to satisfy those criteria.

There's no question that some of us are passionate in our preferences and want to share them with our state's visitors. When imposed on just about every conversation thread, relevant or not, such evangelical fervor can become bothersome and can, indeed, interfere with some of our experts' more on-target responses to the OP's questions.

This is not intended as any attack on MrsO and I hope she doesn't take it as such.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
6. Re: best beach to go to with a dog?

It isn't about telling them what to do, rather giving them their options and letting them choose.

Lots of people I have met think Oregon is about the hippies and that is all.

I try to let them know we have a National Scenic Area and many people don't know that. There is no forum for it. And I try to be polite when I do that. I disagree that I tell everyone, on each thread, I don't chime in all the forum subjects.

No offense OPoppa, so don't take it as such.

MrsO

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 39
7. Re: best beach to go to with a dog?

Are you trying to decide where to stay in LC or just what beaches are good?

Most of Lincoln City has beach. not sure if any are better for a dog. The Dee River can be a place where the beach breaks if that is a problem. plus it can be busy area

We like beach at Manzanita for our dog because dog friendly place just across street from a great beach. Nye Beach in Newport also good but motets are 80 stair steps from beach. We rarely stay in Lincoln City. so not experienced there, but some places are fairly easy walk to beach

Assume you know how to find dog friendly place.

Edited: 2:42 am, February 12, 2012
Maple Ridge, Canada
reviews: 57
8. Re: best beach to go to with a dog?

Thanks for the advise!

MrsO-thanks for the Three Capes suggestion. We drove that way a few years ago and I had forgotten about it! But I now remember seeing a few spots along the drive that would be good stops!

Phirl - we are staying in Lincoln City and I was just looking for suggestions on which would be the best beach to visit for both us and the dog.

I should have mentioned in my 1st post that I would also like a beach that had easy access as my parents are at that age that the easiest route is the best.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 39
9. Re: best beach to go to with a dog?

I like the looks of the Lookingglass Inn in Taft area. They are pet friendly and flat walk to beach. One problem might be is it is at the mouth of Siletz River, so beach only goes one way. we have not yet stayed there but will some day. We have stayed at westshore. They are pet friendly and as i recall fairly easy to get to beach.

There are several motels that are fairly high above beach. Ester Lee for example. D Sands is near beach so is Chinook Winds, many between those too would be above beach. i

kennnewick
10. Re: best beach to go to with a dog?

Love to take our dogs there! We go a least once a year. Try "Canyon Drive Park"....SW 11th & Coast Ave. (kind of behind the library)

Not much of a park, but has parking on both sides of the street, a restroom, and easy beach access. Have a great time!