We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive holiday from San Fran to Seattle via Klamath Falls Dec

Which Klamath Falls hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 3
Drive holiday from San Fran to Seattle via Klamath Falls Dec

Hi,

Can anyone provide advice on whether you can drive from San Fran to Seattle via Klamath in December. We are an Australian Family and are looking for the safest and most scenic route to drive.

We were interested in Crater Lake but it appears we can't see it due to snowfall and access.

If this is not the best route, can anyone advise what is the best drive route and place to stop.

Thanks

Renae

3 replies to this topic
Vancouver...
reviews: 24
1. Re: Drive holiday from San Fran to Seattle via Klamath Falls Dec

The safest and most direct route is I-5 all the way through California, Oregon and Washington to Seattle. You will encounter snow/ice over the Siskiyous in Southern Oregon, and around Mt. Shasta, California. You must plan for i, because it can get very dicey. This is NOT a good time of year to be driving. Good Luck. Chuck...

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 6
2. Re: Drive holiday from San Fran to Seattle via Klamath Falls Dec

Please listen to Chuck. This really is a terrible time to drive, both because of mountain weather and the fact that we have VERY short days in December. It gets dark around 4:30 pm at that time of year. It rains a lot, too. Few things are more unpleasant that driving on a dark, rainy night on unfamiliar roads with the knowledge that you have hours of travel ahead of you. It certainly is no way to spend a holiday.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 831
3. Re: Drive holiday from San Fran to Seattle via Klamath Falls Dec

Hi Firecracka - well, I'm not going to be quite as emphatic against travelling in December . . . but I do agree that the Pacific Northwest USA is not a really enjoyable place in winter!

I'm curious why you need to go to Klamath Falls?

If you want to see some of this area, you can drive north from San Francisco along Hwy 101. You most likely won't have any snow, but when you reach the coast of Oregon you will get rain. Lots of it.

Inland, around Portland and Seattle, you may get snow and once again it will be grey and wet.

Perhaps we can give you suggestions for other areas of the USA to see that have nicer weather that time of year? Or perhaps you can fly to one or two destinations and stay there without doing so much cross country and mountain driving?

Reply to: Drive holiday from San Fran to Seattle via Klamath Falls Dec
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted