We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any comments on these hikes for early July?

Which Hood River hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cherry hill
reviews: 198
Any comments on these hikes for early July?

My flights are paid for and now making some final decisions on where to stay in a Hood River-Cannon Beach-Portland vacation with hiking as the primary focus and wine tasting secondary. Aside from the Gorge Hikes, in my reading the following looked interesting as moderate hikes: Wahtum Lake to Chinidere Mountain, Mirror Lake, Timberline Lodge to Zigzag Canyon( if open this early), Elk Meadows, Vista Ridge to Owl Point, and Tamanawas Falls ( recommended by Mrs O). Obviously I won't be able to do all of them but does anyone out there have any personal knowledge of these hikes? Thanks.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
reviews: 90
1. Re: Any comments on these hikes for early July?

There are hikers in the area. I hope they will give you the information you need. We have talked.

I hope you have a great vacation.

Mrs O

cherry hill
2. Re: Any comments on these hikes for early July?

A couple of nice replies in the Portland forum, but still wondering if Vista Ridge to Owl Point will be OK to do first week July in terms of the snowfall. Overall you and the other experts have been very helpful and it is appreciated.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
3. Re: Any comments on these hikes for early July?

OK, I have spoken to the Ranger at Zig Zag and he said that Vista Ridge is 5,000' to 6,000. I t may be dicey but the snow is melting sooner this season right now . (our weather changes about every 5 minutes)

Mirror Lake should be no problem, but Zig Zag will be dicey too he said. Maybe snow patches but maybe snow.. He said to check back in June for better forecast on this.

Also he reminded me to suggest you check in when you are doing these hikes with destination and approximate time back. Just for safety.

Edited: 11:41 am, May 03, 2013
cherry hill
4. Re: Any comments on these hikes for early July?

Thanks so much! It looks like I have planned my trip to the area a bit too early in the season to do all the hiking I wanted. I could not plan this trip in August. But safety is number 1 for us. That was very nice of you to call.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 13
5. Re: Any comments on these hikes for early July?

Agree that Elk Meadows, Vista Ridge or anything near elevation of Timberline will likely still have snow in July- much better in August, unfortunetly...

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
6. Re: Any comments on these hikes for early July?

Kod, once you get into the community I am sure you will connect with hikers and they will suggest some that you will enjoy too. I knew that Tamanawas is an easy hike but the waterfall is so pretty.. so is Wahclella.

I suggest you go to nwhiker and check hikes in and around Mt Hood and Multnomah Falls and Cascade Locks by looking at difficulty level to find alternate hikes incase these are too snowed in. And bring gloves.. LOL

M

cherry hill
7. Re: Any comments on these hikes for early July?

At what elevation will I be OK? I was interested in the WahtumLake hike to Chinidere Mountain which is under 5000 feet. If this is not going to be OK I will have to rethink things, Thanks.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
8. Re: Any comments on these hikes for early July?

Yesterday he said the snow was at about 3500'. Things will change quickly as the snow is melting faster than normal. I suppose that is why he said to call again in June. I know it sure is messing with our rivers.. it looks great- the sun is out- it's warm in the air- but the rivers are running faster, have debris in them, sand bars are shifting and the water is colder than it was a month ago because of snow melt.

Lots of people are telling me that.

best,

MrsO

Edited: 12:29 pm, May 04, 2013
cherry hill
9. Re: Any comments on these hikes for early July?

A forumite on Portland fieldhikers.com wrote me that you are a month ahead of schedule so that things will be probably OK for us in terms of too much snow on the trails. Thanks again for your input. I'll talk to the ranger as well.

10. Re: Any comments on these hikes for early July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 06, 2014