We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which first - Hood River or Cannon Beach?

Which Hood River hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, Tennessee
reviews: 31
Which first - Hood River or Cannon Beach?

Doing some preliminary planning for a late August trip to the Portland area. Thinking of spending 2 nights on the coast (likely Cannon Beach) and 2 nights in the Hood River area - and then following up with 2 nights with some friends who live in the city. I have loads of details to work out, but would like to get the hotels booked soon since it'll be high season.

I'm wondering if there is any reason to do one location before the other? It'll be a Mon/Tues at one place and then Wed/Thurs at the other, so I don't think that crowds would be a deciding factor. Seems to me like we'll need more time for the inland part of the adventure - hiking, drive the Fruit Loop, maybe Mt. St. Helens - whereas the coastal portion can be experienced in less time???? Not sure....

Thanks for any advice!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 36
1. Re: Which first - Hood River or Cannon Beach?

I am not sure it matters which is first

Mt St Helens can be visited as you go from one to the other, not really a day trip from either.

Astoria is a good visit. world class maritime museum, a few Lewis and Clark sites, Astor Column, historic downtown. nice riverfront. Fort Stevens historic place.

I have not done the Fruit Loop, but have been on several of the roads along it. Had friends who ived in Valley. I am not sure it would be high on my list.

Portland, OR
reviews: 39
2. Re: Which first - Hood River or Cannon Beach?

I also don't think it matters which one you do first.

I have done the Fruit Loop many times and think it is well worth it. It allows you to see The Gorge, Hood River, Mt Hood and the scenery along the way. I recommend you get an early start so you can do some hiking along the way through The Gorge, then lunch in Hood River, drive up to Timberline Lodge for a quick visit and then be back in Porltand for dinner. You don't really need to stay 2 nights in Hood River unless you really want to do some hiking, watch the wind surfers and kiters and hang out at Double Mt. Brewery or Full Sail in the evening. And Hood River is only 75 minute drive from downtown Portland. Easy to do the loop as a day trip.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 36
3. Re: Which first - Hood River or Cannon Beach?

I think the Historic Col Riv Hwy deserves pretty much a full day. Counting the Vista House, several waterfalls and Bonneville Dam. You could go back to Portland that late afternoon on I-84 and head for the coast. We never seem to be able to do much more than that when we drive the HCRH. and we have been many times.

Or you could overnight in HR and do Fruit loop next day and Mt Hood loop. which still means only one night in HR.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
reviews: 62
4. Re: Which first - Hood River or Cannon Beach?

I have not seen the 2013 one but you can get information on the 2012 map called Best in the Gorge made by the Columiba River Gorge Visitors Information Center. Look at www.www.BestGorge.com and think, the Gorge has 77 waterfalls, many at street side, and runs from Troutdale to The Dalles. Even Goldendale is a Washingon place where you will find a replica of Stonehenge.((((this map is out of date. I will get you another)))) Sorry.

Start in Troutdale, take the HIstoric Columbia River Highway (old 30) and pass through along the Sandy River to go up and over the hill to see many waterfalls and Crown Point Vista House. The views can't be beat. Then go on to pass more waterfalls and on to Multnomah Falls, Horsetail and Ainsworth State Park where you will merge onto I-84 and go east to the other attractions.

I don't have a current Fruit Loop but I do have www.GorgeWine.com and many of the Fruit Loop Orchards are along that route. Do check in at Multnomah Falls to see if the current Fruit Loop Map is available.

Most who visit here wish they had more time, at least that is what they tell me when we volunteer at Multomah Falls.

MrsO

Edited: 12:50 pm, March 12, 2013
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
reviews: 62
5. Re: Which first - Hood River or Cannon Beach?

That url has changed this year. It's www.crgva.org page_id=232. These brochures can be picked up at Multnomah Falls.(in the Visitors Information Center)

MrsO

6. Re: Which first - Hood River or Cannon Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 14, 2014