We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving East to West through the Gorge area

Which Hood River hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
reviews: 27
Driving East to West through the Gorge area

We will be leaving first thing in the morning from Richland, WA. We are planning on taking I-84 to Portland and then we are heading up to Port Hadlock (west of Seattle) all during a single day.

We only have the one day. Is it feasible to see some of the falls or take part of the scenic drive?

If so, what would you recommend as being the best options to try and see?

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 39
11. Re: Driving East to West through the Gorge area

I agree with Mrs O take the old Hwy by Vista House if you have time, however you can get back on I-84 at Bridal Veil if you want to save some time. You will have passed by some of the best waterfalls. Horesetail Multnomah and Wahkeena.

Your date is a Monday. You may be arriving in Olympia during rush hour. I-5 can get messy then. I have never taken Tacoma Narrows Bridge during rush hour and don't plan to, that is 16. I have only been there a few times and it seems diificult to know where to be as you approach bridge. And you really need to plan ahead on getting off I-5 to 18 in Tacoma.as I recall you get in left lane.

Some rush hour on 101 too I suppose, but think that would drop by Shelton. though WA boards might help you there better than i can. Our son lives 20 miles S of tacoma so we do get to area.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
reviews: 78
12. Re: Driving East to West through the Gorge area

Phirl is right except that the Vista House is by Corbett. You could come down at Corbett and not miss the Vista House. Plan on taking pictures there. The views from there are amazing.

Ohio
reviews: 27
13. Re: Driving East to West through the Gorge area

Thank you both very much. I really appreciate all of the help.

14. Re: Driving East to West through the Gorge area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 05, 2014