We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beginning Kitesurfing

Which Hood River hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
reviews: 36
Beginning Kitesurfing

We are visiting this summer with two 20 year olds. Would it be possible/advisable for them to try kitesurfing and if so, where would you go for something that would include the equipment and lessons? I think it would be something they would enjoy. Thanks

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 13
1. Re: Beginning Kitesurfing

Hi Parkhiker- I have not tried kitesurfing, but my sister took a lesson awhile back(~8yrs ago) and thought it was fun, but really hard to learn- she only did one lesson, and didnt get to go out much- just learned to fly the kite and sailed around once or twice. I think its one of those things where you have to go a few times to coordinate it all. If they are expecting a two hour lesson and being able to get out there and kiteboard, I dont think that would be possible for the average person(but maybe for a 20yearold!). Although I've heard equipment has gotten much better, so things may have changed. Dont want to discourgage you, but let you know what it might be all about. If they really want to do it, Id say go for it!

Hood River would be the place to find a lesson- i dont know of any specific outfits, hopefully someone will know that. I would definetly include equipment and a lesson-there are alot of things to coordinate, ie board, kite, etc so a lesson would be essential. I'd call around the shops and see what you might be able to do after one or two lesson..

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
reviews: 76
2. Re: Beginning Kitesurfing

While I don't have personal knowledge of this sport, I watch it whenever I can.

I met a woman (visitor) at Multnonmah Falls who actually windsurfs in Lake Michigan. She was familiar with Hood River Water Play. She said they have good lessons and boards she rents when she comes to town.

I think you mean kiteboarding. I am not too current on the names, but Water Play teaches a little of everything. There are many schools and rental agencies in Hood River.

Have fun,

MrsO

Illinois
3. Re: Beginning Kitesurfing

Thanks! I'll look them up. We have hikes planned, and only have two days so it might not work out, but hopefully we'll at least get to watch some of this. I've seen your name a lot on the CRG forums. Can I ask another question? So far I've planned to do the Oneonta Falls to Triple Falls hike (and then hike up the Gorge in the water a half mile) and the Multnomah Loop that's about 5.6 RT. Since we will only have 2 days would these be the best "not to miss" hikes in your opinion and what other short stops should we make besides Larch Mtn Rd, Crown Point Vista,or other short hikes to falls? Thanks

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
4. Re: Beginning Kitesurfing

Parkhiker,

I suggest that you stop in at Multnomah Falls Visitor Information Center to see if any are having trouble (like a downed tree or washed out bridge) at your hike choices. The Volunteers there are knowledgeable and get updates from the Forest Service.

There are a lot of hikes depending on what you like. Some that I like and know others who volunteer in the area are: Do be sure and check with M.F. on the safety of Oneonta because I don't know when you are visiting. It may be slipppery.

.Wahclella Falls,

.Tamanawas Falls (a short 2 mile in the Mt. Hood District just past Hood River on Oregon 35) Tamanawas is a great place for a picnic.

Beacon Rock is a volcano tip (very dormant) by Bonneville Dam on the Wasington side. It's criscrossed with switchbacks to the top Nice views and not everyone can say they climbed to the top of a volcano... Unique history, ask a volunteer at Muntnomah Falls about it..

Lauterall Falls on the Scenic Byway out of Troutdale on Exit 18.

Check out http://www.nwkiker.com and use the search features like: Feature, Difficulty Level, Aphabetical search. Also, you can go from search to search by clicking on next or previous. Online, this program shows Oregon, Idaho, Montana, and Washington. They have CDs available for the Gorge area for sale in the gift shop at MF.

If you have any problems with the search features or questions, you can PM me.

Have fun!

MrsO

Edited: 4:51 pm, February 20, 2012
5. Re: Beginning Kitesurfing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 pm, July 08, 2012
Illinois
6. Re: Beginning Kitesurfing

Thanks a lot! My son has a Smart Phone so I'll have him keep track of those.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
7. Re: Beginning Kitesurfing

Hi,

Have your sons check out BigWind in Hood River. They rent gear and teach, both wind surfing and kite boarding..

MrsO

Edited: 9:50 pm, June 21, 2012
Illinois
8. Re: Beginning Kitesurfing

Sorry Mrs. O, I just realized I never responded to your first post. The NW hiker link was amazing! Thank you so much for such a valuable resource.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
9. Re: Beginning Kitesurfing

I am glad you liked it. I was told a volunteer at Multnomah Falls made it and keeps it up. I enjoy it too,. We use it at Multnmah Falls (I volunteer there)

Have fun and be sure to make a TR.

MrsO

Portland, Oregon
10. Re: Beginning Kitesurfing

I would not go with "Brian's Windsurfing" for kiteboarding lessons. I had taken multiple lessons and was not making any progress, not even getting into the water. I then talked to the people at "Cascade Kiteboarding" and continued with my lesson with them. After two lessons with them I was up and riding on the board,