We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Area to base

Which Hood River hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
reviews: 33
Best Area to base

I'm considering a trip to the CRG / Hood area next summer and would ideally like to stay in a cabin near a creek / river kind of in the forest. We are looking to stay 4-5 nights, need 2 BR, and budget is up to $300 per night. That said, don't need anything fancy at all, rustic cabin would be great. It's more about the location than the place.

The itinerary I'm looking for would be a day of river rafting, two days of hiking to falls, and another kind of flexible day where we would either do some lake kayaking (something a 10yr old could handle).

What area would offer the best home base? Near the CRG, in the Hood National Forest? Does anyone have suggestions on particular cabins in either of these areas?

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
reviews: 100
1. Re: Best Area to base

iF you base yourself in Mt. Hood National Forest, you have your choice of the towns of Zig Zag, Welches, Government Camp, or Rhodendran. The log cabins are varied and many. I would google the town name and "lodging" and chooze by contacting the owners. Carefully measure the agents answers as to where the lodging is. Is it on the river? Is the river reasonable reachable or do you have to hike down a steep ledge? Is there a hottub on property?. There is the Ski Bowl Adventure Park there. (lots to keep the most fidigity 10 yo happy!...and adults too) And historic Timberline Ski Lodge. But this area is a long, very long drive down Highway 35 into the gorge and Hood River daily.

My suggestion is to stay 2 days in Hood River, then make the move to Mt. Hood Area. Would your 10 yo like to watch and maybe take a lesson in Kite Boarding? That is out of Hood River

The Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area is from Troutdale to The Dalles. Be sure to stop in at Multnomah Falls.

By rafting, do you mean white water rafting? I suggest you go to White Salmon on the Washington side (outside of Stevensen, WA just past the Cascade Locks across the Steel Bridge of the Gods.) and you can go with Zoller's outdoor Odessy. A good rafting company. Be sure to make reservations.

Dont' miss the Historic Scenic Highway starting at Troutdale. Lots of waterfalls and the Vista House and maybe even 14 miles up Larch Mountain just past Vista House for the most magnificant view of the whole area.

Have fun.

min

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
reviews: 100
2. Re: Best Area to base

There are historic Steiner Cabins all over the National Forest. I saw one on Whiskey Creek. Didn't check the rate, but you might enjoy something like that. We stayed in Welches in a "cabin" but it was modern built and the creek took you through bushy terrain to get to it. The Cost was under $200 a night. Slept 10 it appeared to me. This was newer construction with log cladding.

We enjoyed it but were looking for a rustic one as you stated.,

Min

3. Re: Best Area to base

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 pm, October 07, 2012