We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lakeside vacation Near Eugene?

Which Eugene hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
La Jolla, California
reviews: 64
Lakeside vacation Near Eugene?

Hello!

We are coming to Eugene for wedding and REALLlY don't know the area or our plans yet, but we'd like to rent a nice vacation home on a lake for a 5 day vacation before the wedding. Any recommendations for something within a few hours drive away?

We may drive up from California, fly in to Portland of fly into Eugene.

thanks for your help

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
reviews: 128
1. Re: Lakeside vacation Near Eugene?

Within a "few hours" of Eugene? That includes most of the central Cascades and the Oregon coast! The Cascades will depend on WHEN you will be coming, since most of the mountains are still snowbound.

I would check VRBO for vacation homes around Siltcoos, Woahink and Sutton Lakes on the coast in the Florence to Yachats area; Fernridge Reservoir in Elmira/Veneta just west of Eugene; and the Dexter and Lookout Point Reservoir areas around Lowell just southeast of Eugene.

Many of the Cascade lakes are in national forest areas and have camping, a couple of rustic resorts, etc., but not a lot of private homes. The McKenzie, Siuslaw and Umpqua Rivers have lots of private homes along their scenic banks.

Portland is only a 2-hour drive from Eugene. Bend 2 1/2-3 hours. Grants Pass only about 2 1/2. The coast only about an hour or so. In short, you've pretty much asked for a house on the lake somewhere in western Oregon!

So, again, I suggest to do a bit of exploring on VRBO, as well as studying some of the tourism info on Oregon to get a better idea of what you like and what you need.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 831
2. Re: Lakeside vacation Near Eugene?

Are you looking for a lake in the high mountains or surrounded by forests or near the coast (it's a lot different here from La Jolla!) or where you can rent a boat . . . in other words, can you narrow it down a bit?

I was also thinking of riverfront, o'poppa.

If you're an AAA member, drop into your local office and pick up a paper map of Oregon, or buy one from Barnes and Noble. I think that will help you with your initial planning :-)

3. Re: Lakeside vacation Near Eugene?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:51 am, May 17, 2012