We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for sightseeing between Depoe Bay and Medford

Which Depoe Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Destin, Florida
reviews: 5
Suggestions for sightseeing between Depoe Bay and Medford

We are staying in Depoe Bay for one week starting Friday, October 18 in a timeshare unit at Harbor at Depoe Bay. I have a distant relative who would like us to drive down to the Medford / Central Point area on Sunday to visit them. (We haven't seen each other since the 1960's when we were teenagers!) It looks like it would be about a 4-1/2 hour drive. We are trying to decide whether it would be practical to make this drive on Sunday, spend the day and one night there and drive back to Depoe Bay on Monday. Any suggestions for sightseeing along the way back on Monday? Or should we postpone this trip for another time when we have more than one week? We haven't been to this area before. Thank you!

7 replies to this topic
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 691
1. Re: Suggestions for sightseeing between Depoe Bay and Medford

Since you haven't seen each other for so long, it would be a shame to be so close and not get together!

Unfortunately, to get across the southern Coastal Range from 101, you either cross via Hwy 42 from the Coos Bay area, or you have to go all the way south to Crescent City then back north, then south on I-5. The southern coast is in many ways the moast spectacular and it is the least populated!

You could go south on 101 and return via I-5, or vice-versa to get there the quickest way on the Sunday. There is a lot of beautiful countryside to see. Note that this late in the year it very well might be raining!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 36
2. Re: Suggestions for sightseeing between Depoe Bay and Medford

Guess it depends on how bad you want to see relative. Not sure of fastest way to get to Medford. But suggest you do a loop, maybe 101 to Reedsport 38/138 to I-5 at Sutherlin and to Medford on I-5. Return via Crater Lake and then OR-58 to Eugene, and maybe back to coast at Newport from Corvallis on US-20.

Destin, Florida
3. Re: Suggestions for sightseeing between Depoe Bay and Medford

Thank you both! I am more enthusiastic about making the trip than my husband is. The relative is my 2nd cousin. We were both about 16 the last time we saw each other and her dad and my mom were cousins and fairly close. Actually found each other again on Ancestry.com. We'll see if I can convince my husband to make the trip! Thank you both for your suggestions and yes, we thought it might be rainy as well.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 691
4. Re: Suggestions for sightseeing between Depoe Bay and Medford

Just a thought - perhaps your 2nd cousin might meet you somewhere roughly halfway in-between and you both stay overnight there?

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
reviews: 9
5. Re: Suggestions for sightseeing between Depoe Bay and Medford

The quickest route (not the most scenic) to Medford from Depoe Bay would be hwy 20 out of Newport to I-5 then south, and that will take 4.5-5 hrs!! halfBrit has a good idea. Perhaps you could meet up in Roseburg. Not in the exact middle but it would save you ~ 2 hrs driving time and it's a beautiful area if you want to take some time to explore.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 36
6. Re: Suggestions for sightseeing between Depoe Bay and Medford

I am sort of a family historian. I don't consider 2nd cousins as distant, specially if the mom's were close. I grew up with my 6 Irish first cousins, two sisters were about my age. They were like sisters to me. I call their kids my nieces and nephews. I watched them all grow up. Just got back from family wedding in Pendleton, many of them were there.

So I say put out the effort. Hard to know what you might find. You might look alike. Halfway sounds like a good deal. And if husband reluctant go your self.

We have spent many weeks in Depoe Bay. Wife often leaves me there to go back to work.

And this next week-end go to another family gathering in Prineville. Mother's side this time

Edited: 4:16 pm, July 01, 2013
Destin, Florida
7. Re: Suggestions for sightseeing between Depoe Bay and Medford

I agree -- I think it's so important to maintain those family ties. We only met the one time when my mother and I visited from the Midwest. One thing we have in common is we both have sons who are in the USMC! Interesting that Roseburg was mentioned because another relative is in a nursing home there -- hadn't realized it was on the way. So, I will suggest this to my cousin and see what she says.

Thank you all for your suggestions and encouragement and Semper Fi!

Reply to: Suggestions for sightseeing between Depoe Bay and Medford
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted