We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route from BC - along WA coast or come over in Kelso?

Which Cannon Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Langley City, Canada
reviews: 46
Best route from BC - along WA coast or come over in Kelso?

Heading to the Oregon Coast from BC Sat, Sept 4th (leaving BC by 6am for sure!) and just looking for the most direct, quickest, or least amount of traffic route to get down there.

I had originally planned to take the I5 down to Kelso and then cut over on Hwy 30 to Astoria, but now am not sure if it would be better to come through Washington along the coast?

Is it normally the same "best route" both there and back to the Cannon Beach area?

Thank you!!

Portland, Oregon
1. Re: Best route from BC - along WA coast or come over in Kelso?

"I had originally planned to take the I5 down to Kelso and then cut over on Hwy 30 to Astoria...."

In my experience, this is the quickest route. I've been to and from the Seattle area a couple times this summer, and have been slowed in both directions due to road construction, so you might check Washington's Department of Transportation for updates before you get on the road.

Renton, WA
2. Re: Best route from BC - along WA coast or come over in Kelso?

There is a bridge in Longview/Kelso that takes you across the river to US 30, so if time is critical that is the way to go. I'm never in a hurry, so I take SR 4 west from Longview to Cathlamet and catch the Wahkiakum ferry ($3.00 total, car and passengers) over to the Oregon side. More scenic, a nice break, and you miss most of the deadly boring drive along US 30.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 795
3. Re: Best route from BC - along WA coast or come over in Kelso?

We've driven Hwy 30 many times and we like rural areas, farms and ranches and small towns:-) Curious what you find "deadly boring", bobmrg?

I think Kitters mentioned that the ferry only crosses once an hour, so if you decide on that, J9ie, you may want to factor that into your timing.

Langley City, Canada
reviews: 46
4. Re: Best route from BC - along WA coast or come over in Kelso?

Ya I think we'll avoid any ferries - and after being on a highway for a few hours I think rural areas can be relaxing as opposed to boring!

Thanks everyone!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
reviews: 70
5. Re: Best route from BC - along WA coast or come over in Kelso?

As mistletoe mentions, traffic may or may not be an issue. My DH makes the drive between here and Seattle every week, and I just got back last night. Since you are coming down very soon, I do want to give you a warning. I don't want to scare you, but just a heads up. There have been a few incidents around Puyallup/McChord of objects being tossed from overpasses to vehicles. I know about this first hand, unfortunately. The police and the base security that I have spoken to have said that the area between about exits 130 and 120 is the general vicinity. The twirps got me and my vehicle at exit 123 just a few days ago. You can't predict or prevent this, but just keep an eye out in this area since this is going on right now and you are coming in a few days.

6. Re: Best route from BC - along WA coast or come over in Kelso?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 28, 2011