We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cannon Beach a few days before Xmas should we?

Which Cannon Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
seattle
reviews: 3
Cannon Beach a few days before Xmas should we?

Live in Seattle and wondered about driving down for may two nights? Two adults and a 16 yo boy...recommendations on going and if you think so where to saty and what to do...thanks

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
reviews: 70
1. Re: Cannon Beach a few days before Xmas should we?

I would definitely go. Even though it will be winter, Cannon Beach is always great. We have always stayed at the SurfSand Resort, and we were just there last weekend in fact. It is right on the water, near Haystack Rock, and has great views. As far as what to do, that depends on your interests. Let us know what you are looking for and I am sure some ideas will get posted. One thing we always enjoys is renting funcycles to ride on the beach. There are several places in town to rent them, and they are only $10 for 90 minutes. Those are fun any time of the year. Kite flying is great if there is some wind.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 17
2. Re: Cannon Beach a few days before Xmas should we?

"if there is some wind" :) When we were there last Sept, there was SUCH a wind..there were kites too and a lot of people walking on the beach with their dogs and children.

It is such a nice beach. We looked into staying at SurfSand , I think according to Mtngrls stay last week, that a room right on the water with the fireplace would be fabulous :)

seattle
reviews: 3
3. Re: Cannon Beach a few days before Xmas should we?

thanks...however, what if the weather is relly bad...is there anything to do then? We're thinking of going the week before Xmas.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
reviews: 70
4. Re: Cannon Beach a few days before Xmas should we?

You can still ride the bikes, fly kites, or just wander the beach. There are some fun shops in the downtown area, including Bruce's Candy Store which seems to attract every kid, whether young or old;) Go to Ecola State Park for some beautiful scenery or some easy hiking. Have a bonfire on the beach...which, the SurfSand will supply all the makings, including s'mores for you for an additional charge (it isn't much and would be fun).

reviews: 767
5. Re: Cannon Beach a few days before Xmas should we?

Hi espressologo! We have a beach cottage in Seaside and in my opinion, any time on the coast is wonderful. What are your intersts? Seaside has some nice outlet malls that we enjoy. Lots of fun here. The promenade, small aquarium, great clam chowder at Norma's to warm you up!

Cannon Beach is nice,also. Bistro and the Stephanie Inn for some great food and a theater if you like plays.

You could visit Astoria about 30 minutes away. We have now finished setting up our exhibit there at the Maritime Museum which is very educational and informative. Let me know if you would like more ideas on what to do and see on the coast and have a great trip! :) Do a word search for Old Oregon for more info on Astoria. www.crmm.org for the museum website. Cheers! :)

Portland, Oregon
6. Re: Cannon Beach a few days before Xmas should we?

An oceanfront room is nice any time, but especially important in winter, when if the weather's bad, the view might be all you have. A fireplace would be great too. Surfsand fits the bill in all cases. It's also the choice of our family.

Between Cannon Beach and Seaside though, Seaside might have more for a 16 yo if the weather's really bad. It's a town of arcades, corn dogs and beach kitsch. They've even got indoor bumper cars, but I don't know if those run during winter. Since you specify Cannon Beach in your title, I assume you've been there. You might check the schedule for the Coaster Theater to see if anything's playing the week before Christmas.

Do they have outlet malls where you live, syrahgirl? Seaside's pales in comparison to those I've seen anywhere else.

All that said, I think I'd much rather see a snowstorm outside the window at Christmas than rain, regardless of if the rain comes with an ocean view. ;-)

reviews: 767
7. Re: Cannon Beach a few days before Xmas should we?

If you want oceanfront in Seaside, the Shilo Inn Oceanfront is a nice place to stay with a teen. An indoor swimming pool, jacuzzi, restaurant and located directly on the Prom by the Turnaround. We have stayed here several times when traveling with our kids when they were younger. :)

Portland, Oregon
8. Re: Cannon Beach a few days before Xmas should we?

I think you misread espressotogo's post, syrahgirl. S/he's asking about Cannon Beach. Why recommend Seaside, when the SurfSand in Cannon Beach has the same amenities, and is MUCH nicer than ANY Shilo on the planet. The best reason for Seaside is if the weather really stinks, and arcades and corn dogs are the only option for the 16 yo.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 17
9. Re: Cannon Beach a few days before Xmas should we?

Arcades and corn dogs? That really does sound like the Jersey shore :)

Portland, OR
10. Re: Cannon Beach a few days before Xmas should we?

DH and I spent Christmas in Cannon Beach about 2 years ago and it was wonderful. Our favorite time on the coast is during the winter -- it's so romantic & cozy.

There are some wonderful hotels there (Sylvia Beach is very nice) but you also might consider renting a house. It's possible you can get a deal on one because it isn't high season and many are directly on the beach. If you go this route, make sure you find a house with a fireplace (the grocery store sells firewood, etc). There are a bunch of websites to check out for renting houses if you Google "Cannon Beach rental house" (no need for the quotes). One of the sites that came up when I did it was: http://www.visitcb.com/

Since you're bringing along a 16 year old, you'll want a house closer in to town (vs. in Arch Cape or on the way to AC) so he can hang out in the shopping area and get pizza/coffee when he gets bored of the adults =-)

Besides the beach, CB has 2 great little bookstores (one with more recent releases and one with hard to find books), some wonderful restaurants* (our very favorites are the Bistro, JPs & Gower St Bistro), 2 wine shops (the one by the Bistro is our favorite), bike rentals (although in the winter...), a bit of shopping, coffee (of course), bakery.

Since you're from Seattle, therefore accustomed to recreation in the rain like us Oregonians, you might venture out to do some hiking. There are some wonderful trails in Ecola State Park and other nearby areas.

*Make sure you make reservations as most of the restaurants in CB are intimate and book up very quickly.