We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay on Oregon Coast in September

Which Cannon Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 22
Where to stay on Oregon Coast in September

My husband and I are planning a week-long holiday to the Oregon Coast in mid-September. We are trying to choose between Gearhart and Cannon Beach...any advice? He loves to golf and I love the shops. We'd like to stay in a place very near the ocean. We aren't sure about a condo, a hotel or a cottage. Another question...Should we bring our small dog or leave him home with friends?

We've only stayed on the Oregon Coast once, in Seaside and Bandon and would like to try one of the other two places I mentioned above.

Thanks for any help on this!

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 14
1. Re: Where to stay on Oregon Coast in September

Honestly, you will be happy in either Gearhart or Cannon Beach. Personally, I always stay in Gearhart. It is very quiet and easy to get around. The golf course is right there and you are only 20 minutes or less from Cannon Beach.

The Gearhart Resort (formerly Gearhart by the Sea) allows dogs in some units (most are privately owned and in the rental pool, so it depends on the owner of each unit to allow pets.) There is great beach access with a TON of sand to enjoy...without crowds.

Rats! I should not be telling you this...I could screw up my future quiet time with tourists! ACK!

Oregon
reviews: 53
2. Re: Where to stay on Oregon Coast in September

Both places are nice. Although Cannon Beach has more shops than Gearhart. While the shopping in Gearhart is much more smaller. Both places have cute boutique shops.

There are some nice and romantic hotels in Cannon Beach.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 795
3. Re: Where to stay on Oregon Coast in September

There's a big difference between those two places.

Cannon Beach is a busy little town. Very busy. Lots and lots of small upscale "shoppes". Plenty of hotels, many right on the beach. Plenty of restaurants right in town, plus a small theatre.

Gearhart is a very small place, much much quieter than Cannon Beach, without the busy city center nucleus. I know there are a couple of ocean front hotels there, but I believe they are set back quite away from the water, maybe 100 yards or so.

You can check www.vrbo.com for vacation rentals.

reviews: 740
4. Re: Where to stay on Oregon Coast in September

If you love to shop, I would stay in Cannon Beach, there are also some nice art galleries there. www.cannon-beach.net is a nice website for this area. There is also an outlet mall in Seaside, about 10 minutes from Cannon Beach. Have fun! :)

5. Re: Where to stay on Oregon Coast in September

Thanks all of you so much for these great ideas! I have been using them all and we are planning a great holiday I hope! If anyone knows of a really good place to stay in Cannon Beach, close to the shops and to the beach...yeah, I'm asking a lot here...but I'd love to be able to stroll to the shops and to the beach without driving if possible. I need to make some reservations ASAP. After reading your suggestions we've settle on Cannon Beach.

Thanks again everybody!

Portland, Oregon
6. Re: Where to stay on Oregon Coast in September

SurfSand Resort is the best ocean front; Ecola Creek Lodge would be a good choice for the more budget-conscious. Both are within easy walking distance to downtown and/or the beach. Others to consider: Inn at Schooner's Cove, Land's End Motel, Cannon Beach Hotel, The Courtyard.

I'd also suggest Ocean Lodge or the high-end Stephanie Inn, but both of those are 1.5 miles +/- from the small downtown center, where most of the shops are located.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
7. Re: Where to stay on Oregon Coast in September

Cannon Beach also has a handy shuttle system that goes all around town.

8. Re: Where to stay on Oregon Coast in September

Great to hear about the shuttle system! Thanks so much!

Lainie

9. Re: Where to stay on Oregon Coast in September

Has anyone stayed at Ecola Creek Lodge in Cannon Beach? Just wondering what people think of this place. Thanks!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
10. Re: Where to stay on Oregon Coast in September

Not sure any of the "regulars" here have(?), but I think there was a very recent TR and they stayed there. Try doing a search and then organizing it by date.

I think the location is good because it's out of some of the downtown congestion. It's not young, and does not have an ocean view but is within a couple of hundred yards.