We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brookings for two weeks.

Which Brookings hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 2
Brookings for two weeks.

Hello all. My husband and I are planning our first trip to Oregon in June. We've found a sweet one bedroom cottage steps from the beach.

A few questions. Can one surf fish in the region. Is there fishing from the banks of the Smith River? We are planning on a ocean and river fishing charter but would like to bring our fishing equipment if possible. Curious to which city we should fly into for the most scenic route to Brookings? Are there any good restaurants and bars in Brookings. Thank you in advance.

14 replies to this topic
Oregon
reviews: 40
1. Re: Brookings for two weeks.

Brookings, eh? Lovely but quite challenging to get to. I think you'll need to fly to Medford, OR for the shortest drive there, which will take about 3 hours as you travel Hwy 199 to the coast and then Hwy 101 north at Crescent City. See www.visittheoregoncoast.com for other ideas on what to do, where to eat, fishing, etc - or perhaps others will add their personal recommendations to this post.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 795
2. Re: Brookings for two weeks.

Hi Rooney1128 and welcome to the forums.

Medford is the closest decent sized airport to Brookings, and the drive is pleasant enough. If you have an extra day (and depending upon flight schedules), you might opt to fly into Eugene, then head west to Hwy 101, and drive south along the coast to Brookings.

A third option would be be fly into Eureka/Arcata and drive north on 101. This airport is quite small and would require a connection in San Francisco, but you'd get a good tour of the redwoods on your way north.

Fishing - Ah, what I know about fishing would fit into a very small teacup :-)

I know there are lots of small boats in Brookings harbour area and people surf fish on the beach by the marina. There is quite a bit of fishing along the Chetco River. I'm sure they also fish along the Smith River. There are charter boats going out of Crescent City which is about 30 minutes south of Brookings.

Eateries - If you click on the blue link below, you'll find the main Brookings page. You can click on the restaurants to read about them. We've eaten in several there, but nothing really 'outstanding' - but we also have not tried a bunch of them either! Some have lots of good reviews.

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g51780-Brookings_Ore…

There are some nice parks around the town including one that is hidden from tourists ;-)

Edited: 3:53 pm, January 13, 2013
Portland, Oregon
reviews: 13
3. Re: Brookings for two weeks.

Yes you can fish for surf perch... just google ODFW or california fish and game for licenses and any other information needed for surf fishing. I would highly recomend checking out the Rogue River- you might be on the tail end of spring chinook season. Even if not it sounds like you may enjoy a whitewater jet trip up the Rogue- lots of wildlife to see...

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
reviews: 45
4. Re: Brookings for two weeks.

I'll be the bad guy so, for your first trip to the huge state of OR, with a spectacularly scenic coast, why two weeks in Brookings with its limited services? With all there is to see along the OR coast, I'd base lots of other places, especially those from which you can tour the rest of the coast. Granted, you will have things to do, including the Redwoods. Sorry...

Edited: 9:12 pm, January 13, 2013
New York City, New...
5. Re: Brookings for two weeks.

I got what you're saying voyaging but that's the way we like to roll. We like to chill and not spend most of our vacation in the car. Coming from NYC we look to soak up the serenity. Thanks for the advice. - Rooney

New York City, New...
6. Re: Brookings for two weeks.

Thanks for the great advice Chinookgrrl. The Rogue River sounds like a definite in our plans! - Rooney

New York City, New...
7. Re: Brookings for two weeks.

Wow half-Brit aren't you full of amazing advice! Please tell me praytell where I shall find this hidden park. ; ) - Thanks again!, Rooney

New York City, New...
8. Re: Brookings for two weeks.

Wahiawakid in researching for vacation spots we usually like to find areas that are somewhat difficult to get to and hopefully most tourist would not find it attractive. Coming from NYC one of our goals is to find a spot with as few tourist as possible Thanks for input - Rooney.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 42
9. Re: Brookings for two weeks.

Well, you probably picked the right place in Brookings for the fewest tourists. The further you get from Portland the fewer tourists.

We found a little eatery down near the ocean. We noticed people coming and going constantly. They appeared to be locals from various indicators. so we tried it. good choice. The people coming and going were indeed locals. they would call in and order, then come and get it.

Place only had a few tables.

I can not remember name, but it was south of the river. near ocean. small place, no flashing lights. locals did not care. In two weeks sure you will find it.

Not sure what you have found about getting there, but Portland is a possible airport for you. Drive down coast is one of best in this country. Can be done in day, but better if you spend night along way. and coming from NYC depends on when you get here. A long day drive after a long flight is not good.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 795
10. Re: Brookings for two weeks.

Hi Rooney, I've been without internet for awhile, so just getting back here :-)

Take a look at this page...

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Haha I see from the reviews since I added it to TripAdvisor last year that it's no longer "hidden" LOL!

Be sure to wander on south to see the redwoods - check out the Crescent City page for some interesting attractions as well as the Brookings page of course.

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60944-Activitie…

Reply to: Brookings for two weeks.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted