We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern Oregon coast, By The Sea B & B in Brookings

Which Brookings hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
reviews: 1
Southern Oregon coast, By The Sea B & B in Brookings

Between Florence and Brookings, is it best to ttravel Rt 101 north to south or south to north?

I can't decide if I should travel from Ashland to Florence (as far north on the Oregon as I can go) or Reedsport and then travel south or take Rt 199 to Crescent City, go north, then double back Any ideas?

What are the "can't miss" sights between Florence and Brookings?

Has anybody stayed at the By The Sea B & B in Brookings? It looks like ithas a great view.

Again, thanks to all.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 795
1. Re: Southern Oregon coast, By The Sea B & B in Brookings

It's usually best if visitors travel north to south, as it makes it much easier to pull out and stop along the way. Also the passenger gets the best view! I would suggest you do not go all the way to Florence, but cut across at Sutherlin on I-5. That would be Hwy 138 to Hwy 38 toward Reedsport. That's a very pretty drive.

Just a few miles east of Reedsport is the elk viewing area. If you have never seen elk, this is well worth a stop, as they are always in the pasture. There is a large parking lot off the road.

When you hit the coast, a few miles south of Reedsport is the tiny town of Winchester Bay. Turn west here and follow the paved road toward the ocean for about 3-4 miles out to the OHV area, then you can look back and get a very good look at a section of the huge sand dunes which stretch for about 40 miles.

Continuing south on Hwy 101 as you near Coos Bay, you might like to take a side trip out to Charleston and Shore Acres SP. There's a nice garden and if it's high tide, there are great crashing waves.

The prettiest (and bumpiest!) part of the coast is from Port Orford south. When you are in Gold Beach, be sure to look at the Mary D. Hume, the mostly sunken boat. There is an interpretive display right off the highway.

I'm not familiar with By the Sea B&B, but I looked them up. The area where they are located is just spectacular!

Chicago
reviews: 1
2. Re: Southern Oregon coast, By The Sea B & B in Brookings

half-Btit -

Thanks again - great info. Believe it or not, with reading and with the help of Tripadvisor, I'm zeroing in on what I'm going to do on this trip.

Stay tuned, though! In November, 2008 our son may be studying in London. We'll have enough mileage on our credit card account to fly for free. I'll need your help to fit touring London, going to Paris, Normany and Stonehenge and, finally, getting in a couple of rounds of golf in Scotland all in six or seven days. (Of course, I say this self-mockingly, but you can how I drive my wife and I nuts. But I do love all this planning!)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 14
3. Re: Southern Oregon coast, By The Sea B & B in Brookings

Oooh goodie!!

We have gone to London and Paris yearly for over 10 years..not counting this past year when we moved to Argentina... I can try to be helpful too :D * this is my sneaky way of working into conversation with my husband , the need to keep my info updated lol *

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
4. Re: Southern Oregon coast, By The Sea B & B in Brookings

You have Scarlett? How lovely! Well, then why do I not ever see you (!) on the London forum?

Maritalblitz, the UK, Scotland and London forums are very helpful as they have some amazing experts there, and is often great fun too. Seven days to do all that? Yeah right, lol!

Somebody once said something like "planning is half the fun of being there". Although I'd put the percentage a little bit lower, it is fun, isn't it?

Sounds as if your Oregon trip is coming together nicely :-)

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
reviews: 70
5. Re: Southern Oregon coast, By The Sea B & B in Brookings

I haven't been as often as Scarlett, but we loved France and Scotland. London was fine, but just not as amazing as the others, IMO. Normandy will leave you speechless.

We could have our own little Europe forum here with all the OR locals that have traveled so much, lol!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
6. Re: Southern Oregon coast, By The Sea B & B in Brookings

Haven't been to France in many years, but we both loved Scotland! In fact, I get puzzled sometimes by the huge number of Americans who do not visit the rest of England, just London. Although London is exciting with lots to do, I admit ... and then they don't have to tackle the roads!

Good idea, Mtngrl, but I think TA would get rather annoyed with us, although maybe we could call it the EUregon forum. That would confuse 'em, lol!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 14
7. Re: Southern Oregon coast, By The Sea B & B in Brookings

I rarely post on any other of the TA forums..for some reason, I only post about where I live lol but on another forum I post about Paris and London...

Although now I am getting hints from someone about Italy being next .. :)

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
reviews: 70
8. Re: Southern Oregon coast, By The Sea B & B in Brookings

Scarlett--If you go in June of 2009, we can meet up! Italy is great...you would love it. I can't wait to go back.

half-brit--We should have that forum, lol! We went to Scotland in the winter and even drove during a blizzard. Talk about cold though!!!

9. Re: Southern Oregon coast, By The Sea B & B in Brookings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, September 01, 2009