We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cedar Point Early Entry Plan

Which Sandusky hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Niagara Falls, NY
reviews: 15
Cedar Point Early Entry Plan

We are going to CP on Monday, June 9th. Looking for a suggested plan to maximize our early entry hour. Ideas? Is it worth getting there early? What time does the parking lot actually open? Thanks.

17 replies to this topic
Louisville, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
reviews: 127
1. Re: Cedar Point Early Entry Plan

If you stay at a Cedar Fairs Hotel, you are allowed into the park an hour early.

Since they do have hotels onsite, I believe you may enter the parking lot at any time of day.

Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 4
2. Re: Cedar Point Early Entry Plan

I assume you have either a Platinum Pass or are staying onsite to get the early entry?

My usual plan is to park in the back lot, enter at the Magnum gate, and hit Maverick for a couple rides. Then head over to Millennium Force for a ride or 2 depending on the time. By then, the hour is almost up, so get in line for Dragster before the general public is let in, to be one of the first riders when it opens.

By doing this, you knock out the 3 rides with the longest waits before the crowds form.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Sandusky
reviews: 65
3. Re: Cedar Point Early Entry Plan

^ This is always my strategy! Entry by the Magnum is key, it's how I've been doing "opening" since the summers I worked there as a teen.

Also, you'll find the rides at the "front" of the park have shorter lines in the late afternoons and early evenings.

Louisville, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
reviews: 127
4. Re: Cedar Point Early Entry Plan

Ditto on parking by Gemini and entering at the Magnum gate ;o)

Sandusky, OH
reviews: 37
5. Re: Cedar Point Early Entry Plan

You are only supposed to park back by the Magnum if you are going to soak city. If it is a nice day this parking lot fills up. You would then have to turn around and go back to the front to park. FYI

Plantation Florida
reviews: 101
6. Re: Cedar Point Early Entry Plan

The key is to get there 1 hour before the park opens. The park opens at 10am. So for the early entry crowd, you want to arrive at 8am. Drive all the way around to the Soak City lot and park. Walk past the go-kart track, under Magnum, and to the ticket gate. Believe it or not, there will be a crowd forming, a few coaster fans looking to up their ride count on Magnum, TTD, and MF. There's usually a person for each of these rides. You'll spot them because they'll have a shirt on with their name.

They'll let you into the park, but you'll stop at a rope near Magnum. The national anthem will play, and then it's the "running of the bulls." Most people run to Maverick. The thrill ride tour is

Maverick

Millennium Force

Raptor or Gate Keeper

Top Thrill Dragster

When you walk to the front of the park and ride Raptor, you'll see the general public (GP) waiting, they are not allowed in until 10am. Once you ride Raptor, walk back to TTD. It won't start operating until the park opens at 10am, but you'll be in line and have a good spot.

Depending on which rides they have set up for the early entry, you will have knocked out 4 of them before 11am. Now you can go ride Magnum and the flat rides.

Philadelphia
reviews: 1
7. Re: Cedar Point Early Entry Plan

Are General admissions people allowed to park in the back by Gemini and enter at Magnum? I will be visiting with the in-laws the 3rd week of June, date to be determined, and will purchase our tickets online along with Fast Pass. We have only one day in the park and I don't want to spend most of my time standing in line with them.

Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 4
8. Re: Cedar Point Early Entry Plan

Yes, anyone can park in the back lot, and enter through the Magnum gate. They even have a ticket booth right there for those who don't already have their passes/tickets.

RE: robvia ... Unless they changed it back again this season because of all the complaints (I haven't had a chance use to early entry yet this year), they no longer do the "Running of the Bulls". Last year, they made everyone wait in line outside the gates, and didn't begin scanning passes until 9 am. With lines often getting VERY long by opening, it sometimes took 10+ min of wasted early entry time just to get into the park.

One more tip: Go opposite the logical path of the majority of the crowd entering in the front of the park. Instead, start in the back and make your way forward. Raptor and Gatekeeper often have little to no lines in the late afternoon/evening.

Plantation Florida
reviews: 101
9. Re: Cedar Point Early Entry Plan

Hmmm. Well, that's another reason to show up at 8am and be first at the gate. I just hope they start Maverick at 9am when the early ride time starts. Nothing irks me more, then getting into the park early, only to find the ride is not open yet. What's the point of early entry if the rides are still testing? Or the ride crew is still getting into position? Or the test dummies are still in the trains on MillenniumForce?

On my past visit, there was a 10 minute delay until Maverick started. This allowed slow fathers to catch up with their kids and line jump to be with them. Probably where most of the complaints came from regarding the running of the bulls. The same thing happens at X2 over at SFMM. And it's the same thing for the New Texas Giant over at Six Flags Over Texas. That ride doesn't start operating for 10 minutes, so I had to go on Titan instead.

reviews: 3
10. Re: Cedar Point Early Entry Plan

I was going to post this same question. We are staying at the campground and get in at 9am. I wanted to know what to ride first, and thought top thrill dragster made sense based on the map (I've never been there). Sounds like there is no way to know what rides will actually be open at 9am so it's a crap shoot?

Reply to: Cedar Point Early Entry Plan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted