We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5th july cedar point

Which Sandusky hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
louisville
reviews: 24
5th july cedar point

OKay I am kicking myself right now because I think I made a very stupid mistake. We were going to go to cedar point on july 5th and I thought it'll be crazy busy so went ahead and bought the fast lane plus passes. Now I checked the weather and there is 50% chance of rain in sandusky,oh and it says thunder storms. I wish I had only bought tickets and not the fast pass because I think the part won't be as crowded because of the rain. Do you think the rides will be open if its raining little bit? Is there any way to get a refund?

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
reviews: 28
1. Re: 5th july cedar point

If it's any consolation, the fast passes may be even more useful if the rides are closed part of the day. Everybody there may be trying to ride them when open.

Please let us know your experience!

Edited: 9:35 pm, July 03, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
reviews: 78
2. Re: 5th july cedar point

They never give refunds. Some rides will operate in a slight bit of rain. Some will not due to obvious safety reasons. Even if it's not raining, the taller rides will shut down if there's lighting.

Don't worry about the 50% chance. We had that last Saturday, and it rained for all of 45 minutes that day. Weather isn't something you can control, so try not to worry and just plan on being at the park for as long as possible!

louisville
3. Re: 5th july cedar point

Just wanted to give an update. The thunder storm chance had increased to 60% by Wednesday night. It rained for the first half of the day (until 3:30pm) and then no rain at all. We arrived at the park around 1:30 and saw few rides were open (including maxAir) . So we rode that first. Then few other rides started opening. So we jumped onto another one. When we rode the gate keeper, there were some raindrops (no thunder though). The ride which stayed closed the longest was the top thrill dragster. After 3 pm, we rode couple of them. One large coke was around $5, so we figured the food will be very very expensive too. We left the park around 7pm and had dinner. Then came back after an hour. We rode total of 13 rides (including gatekeper 2X,millenium force 2X, top thrill 2X). I think the fast pass plus worked in our favor. We would have never been able to ride this many rides without it. Since some bigger rides were closed in the rain, as soon as the rain stopped, the line would get crazy long. We saw 2 hour wait on some rides. The only thing with the fast pass is, you still have to wait. Some rides make you merge with the other line so you don't get to go in the very front just because you have the pass. We would definitely buy the fast pass again but I don't think we will ever buy it online again. The tickets are valid any day of the season but the fast pass is only valid on the date you selected when you purchased it. So if you get sick or its raining like crazy that day, you lose your money. I would buy the ticket online and wait to buy the pass until we get to the park.

Thanks to everyone who made me feel better after I freaked out after seeing the rain in the forecast. Also, the only ride we absolutely hated was Mantis. I would never ever go on it again. We loveeedd top thrill and millennium force. Gate keeper is OK but not great.

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
4. Re: 5th july cedar point

Latas, thanks for the feedback.

I wonder if persons on rainy days, when there are closures and longer lines, will rush to buy fast passes. I believe that I've read there is a daily quota for fast passes. If so, there may be an advantage to buying them online a day or two ahead of time, when weather forecasts are more firm.

I share your dislike of Mantis, but the roughness of stand-up coasters aren't my thing. Mean Steak also is very rough, but it's a great ride and has IMO the most beautiful view from wait lines in the park.

Did you ride the Gemini at night? It's now hard to believe it was the tallest and fastest in the world just less than four decades ago, but I still think it's a very fun ride, especially at night, and especially if both coasters are running. It offers IMO the "old-time" thrill ride experience, before computer design and maximum G's became the driving forces in new coaster development.

I'm curious. Despite the rain forecast, it sounds as if the park was fairly crowded. Is that accurate? Did it become more crowded in the evening, when the starlight-evening admission tickets kicked in?

Edited: 10:20 am, July 08, 2013
louisville
5. Re: 5th july cedar point

I think you are right about plp rushing to buy fast passes as soon as they saw long lines. I was afraid of them running out (considering its 4th july weekend) so thats why I had bought them online. I read online that they never run out of the passes before 12 pm. So I guess if you get there around 10 am you can easily get them.

Yeah we rode Gemini at night and it was really really fun. It was surprising that it was soo smooth considering it's a wooden coaster. We didn't ride mean streak but will try next time.

This was our first time at cedar point so I am not sure how busy it is on weekends. But we have gone to kings island multiple times. When we arrived (around 1:30), it was raining and It was as busy as a summer weekday at king's island. As the rain stopped, it got as busy as a weekend at king's island. I think the evening tickets being cheaper was also a factor. Around 8 pm it was really crowded and there was about 2 hour wait at every big coaster.

I think if it wasn't raining and it was a sunny day, it would have been crazy busy. The rain did keep the regulars away. We could have done without a fast pass but we would have to be there from open to close (midnight) to ride as many coaster as we did in few hours. And we wouldn't have repeated since it's a hassle to wait another 2 hours to get in the same roller coaster.

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
6. Re: 5th july cedar point

Latas, thanks again.

Is Cedar Point worth the extra drive beyond King's Island in your opinion? Have you considered buying season passes which are good at both parks, if you visit King's Island every year?

I'm also curious about the Gemini at night. Were the lines extremely short? My last few times there, it was walk-on and ride immediately at night. That thrilled me, as I remember two-hour lines for the Gemini! Were both racing coasters running? If so, were people high-fiving each other on the competing coasters? That's not something I would recommend, as I always imagined that some fool might grab someone's hand and hang on.

louisville
7. Re: 5th july cedar point

oh yeah , its worth the extra drive. We wouldn't be able to do it more than once per season though. It's not a day trip for us so we'll have to stay at a hotel and all that so probably will go only once a year. We get cheap tickets from work for king's island so the season pass won't be worth the money for us. We looked at it though and it seemed like a good deal if you are going to visit both parks at least couple of times during the season and pay regular price for tickets.

We didn't get a chance to look at the line of Gemini. The fast pass entrance was to the side and there was no wait so we immediately got to ride without waiting. I am not sure if there was any line on the other side but this was a long weekend and there were a lottt of plp walking around so I would assume there was probably 1 hour wait. Both of them were running and i saw one guy get mad at the operator because the other car won. lol. We sat in the front seat and at first our car was behind and plp from the other car were making fun of us. Then ours picked up pace and we were cheering. Thats about it. There were no highfiving. lol

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
8. Re: 5th july cedar point

Latas, thanks for all of the info.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
reviews: 78
9. Re: 5th july cedar point

Thank you so much for coming back and sharing Latas! I'm glad you had a great trip. I agree with Mantis. I also loath Mean Streak.

Hong Kong, China
10. Re: 5th july cedar point

I also plan to visit cedar point in July or Augest, but I'll go by air to Toledo (Toledo Express Airport). What kind of public transport shall I take to go to sandusky (or cedar point) from the TOL airport? I searched for a long time and still cannot find the solution. Please help, thank you!