We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Other Things to do in Sandusky

Which Sandusky hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Piedmont, OK
reviews: 1
Other Things to do in Sandusky

My wife, two kids, and I are traveling to Sandusky in mid June. We will be staying for 4 days and have 2 days planned for Cedar Point. My question is, what other things are there to do in the area? I heard that exploring one of the islands - Kelly's or Put-in-Bay might be fun. We like to shop and water sports. Thanks!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
reviews: 65
1. Re: Other Things to do in Sandusky

Fishing charter on Lake Erie, Put in Bay or Kelly's Island, Kalahari indoor waterpark, jet ski rental, parasailing, spend a day in downtown Sandusky and browse the shops and enjoy the parks and waterfront views.

I would definitely consider spending one day at Put-in-Bay. There is more than enough there to fill your day without getting bored!

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
reviews: 26
2. Re: Other Things to do in Sandusky

The Lake Erie islands definitely would be an option. Put-in-Bay in particular certainly would offer many water sport options.

…chicagotribune.com/2009-08-30/travel/090827…

The Cleveland Metroparks Zoo, which is very good, is about an hour east from Sandusky, as is downtown Cleveland. The Cleveland zoo's new African Elephant Crossing features the larger African elephants not displayed at many zoos, one of the best Rainforest exhibits, and observation windows to allow visitors to view its animal hospital in action. Visitors also have opportunities to hand-feed the zoo's giraffes.

Cleveland's compact downtown area offers several attractions (see TA "Things to Do") particularly Indians baseball at Progressive Field, the U.S.S. Cod, Steamship Mather, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, and the West Side Market (open only certain days). On weekends, the observation deck of the Terminal Tower is open.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_Tower

http://www.eventbrite.com/org/570713222

Cleveland's University Circle is one of the nation's leading cultural centers. It features the world-renown Cleveland Orchestra at Severance Hall; the Cleveland Museum of Art, one of the nation's best and with free admission; and the excellent Cleveland Botanical Garden.

Cleveland's Playhouse Square is the nation's second largest theater complex after Lincoln Center. If you enjoy Stephen Sondheim, consider the Great Lakes Theater Festival production of Sondheim on Sondheim at the unique Hanna Theatre, which has no bad seats.

greatlakestheater.org/tickets/shows/sondheim…

…cleveland.com/architecture/2008/10/hanna_th…

www.playhousesquare.org/default.asp…

The best shopping district in northern Ohio is the combination of Beachwood Place and Legacy Village, about 90 minutes from Sandusky, but if you like bargain hunting, check out the Dillard's Outlet Center in Euclid, Ohio, about 80 minutes from Sandusky. The store does have a large selection of clothes for men, including a big and tall shop, and a small selection of men's shoes, contrary to one review below. However, the store's merchandise selection varies greatly from month to month, even week to week.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/dillards-euclid

Ohio Amish country is centered around Walnut Creek in Holmes County (however, it stretches across several counties south and east of Cleveland), about two hours south of Cleveland, and less than three hours from Sandusky if you bypass Cleveland using state routes. It is the second leading tourist attraction in northern Ohio, after Cedar Point. You particularly might be in interested in the Hartville Marketplace if you like flea markets.

experience-ohio-amish-country.com/flea-marke…

experience-ohio-amish-country.com/index.html

The Pro Football Hall of Fame is located in Canton, just northeast of Holmes County.

Toledo's Museum of Art also is very good, has free admission, and features one of the best collections of glass artifacts in the world. Its glass collection is housed in the Glass Pavilion, one of the great American buildings of the 21st century.

Check out the Ohio Reformatory in Mansfield, especially if you are "Shawshank Redemption" fans.

Have fun on Ohio's North Coast!

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
reviews: 163
3. Re: Other Things to do in Sandusky

I think your kids would like Put in Bay. We purchased a package deal that included the ferry and admission to the attractions there like a tram that takes you around the island, mini golf, a cave tour, winery tour, etc. For lunch or dinner, check out The Chicken Patio.

Piedmont, OK
reviews: 1
4. Re: Other Things to do in Sandusky

Thanks to you all...Irishlake, Transcendenta,Deb.. great information. Put-In-Bay, the winnery, the Omish country near Walnut Creek, and jet skiing sound like things we wil try to do.

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
reviews: 26
5. Re: Other Things to do in Sandusky

logger,

This website may help you:

http://www.shoresandislands.com/

Medina, Ohio
reviews: 127
6. Re: Other Things to do in Sandusky

We spent a weekend up there during the winter. Husband and I enjoyed the Sandusky mall, millions of restaurants!, and the junkyard in neighboring Milan. *shrugs*

Sandusky, OH
Destination Expert
for Sandusky
reviews: 38
7. Re: Other Things to do in Sandusky

If it rains Ghostly Manor Thrill Center is always open. We have roller skating, and XD 4D Theater, interactive mini golf, arcade, food and a Haunted House rated the best place I've ever been by the Travel Channel.

UK
reviews: 17
8. Re: Other Things to do in Sandusky

You can easily spend a day on either Put-in-Bay, Kelleys Island or both. We caught the JetExpress to PiB early, looked around the port area, walked to Perry's Cave (where there's loads of stuff), went down to the cave, played mini-golf and saw the little car museum they've got there, before walking back to the port area for lunch.

Then we caught the ferry again to Kelley's Island, walked to the glacial grooves and the beach, swam for a bit, then walked back to the port there and caught the JetExpress back, in time for a good dinner.

I'm in the middle of writing a blog detailing everything I did on the road trip, but this day is already up. It should give you some ideas - …wordpress.com/day-7-put-in-bay-and-kelleys-…

There are a lot of other things to do on the islands - the Perry memorial, the world's largest geode etc - but it's still nice and peaceful, and you can do everything at your own pace rather than being pushed around a tourist trap.

Sandusky, Ohio
9. Re: Other Things to do in Sandusky

We have 4 indoor water parks in the area housed inside hotels. The islands can be accessed by ferry boat and have beaches and jet ski rentals.. Cedar Point also has a beach and you can jet ski or go para sailing.

10. Re: Other Things to do in Sandusky

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, June 20, 2013