We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time at cedars point 6/2&6/3

Which Sandusky hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
1st time at cedars point 6/2&6/3

My girlfriend and I are traveling to cedars point for the first time in June from NYC. We are both rollercoaster lovers and are looking to enjoy all the park has to offer with minimal crowds and wait times. How crowded will the park be and will there be long waits on this particular thursday and friday (6/2-6/3)? Also, what are some good hotel recommendations nearby? I believe we will be flying into cleveland as its the closest airport that we can fly into from NY. Any insight would be great, the more the merrier.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Sandusky
reviews: 58
1. Re: 1st time at cedars point 6/2&6/3

Definitely browse the Sandusky forum to get a good idea on where to stay and Cedar Point tips (no "s" on Cedar).

Local schools are not out yet as of those dates. However, many MANY schools take class trips/end of year trips there this time of year. So expect a lot of school-age kids, 10-18.

Also keep in mind that the park is only open from 10-8pm on that thursday, and from 10-10pm that friday. If you stay at a CP owned property, you are granted early entry to the park 1 hour before it opens to the general public. SO if you're cool with spending a little extra, then do it, it's worth it.

If you're cool with spending a LOT extra, you can buy a VIP tour for $375/person. This means you get a bunch of extras PLUS you go straight to the head of the line of every line, no waiting.

If you don't want to stay at a CP property, the Hampton Inn, Fairfield Inn, Comfort Inn (milan road location) are all fine to stay at. Sandusky also offers a wide variety of indoor waterpark resorts, the largest being Kalahari Resort. There is a standard "resort" in neighboring town, Huron, called Sawmill Creek. This is also a nice place to stay and an easy drive to CP. If you wnt a family owned 1950's style motel, check out the Maples Motel. Its cheap, clean and very friendly owners.

St. Louis, MO
reviews: 62
2. Re: 1st time at cedars point 6/2&6/3

I'm going the very same too days, so I totally concur with your choice. Midweek early June was great in 2008, last time I went crowd wise, and I'm trying that again.

Cleveland is the closest airport. June of 2008 I landed, got my rental car, and was at my hotel in just about an hour, could be longer based on traffic and how fast you drive (I was going a little over the speed limit.)

Where to stay -- my personal picks based on budget:

High budget -- newer section of the Hotel Breakers (expensive for what it is, but closest hotel to the park, great to stop back and soak in the hot tub late afternoon and then head back to the park, gives early admission to park like all CP properties // heard some horror stories about older sections -- reviews related to new sections are good and that's where we have always stayed

Medium Budget -- Fairfield Inn or Hampton Inn // short drive to park // reliable chain hotel with comfortable bedding that is kept up to date. I stayed at the Hampton a few years back. Haven't tired the Fairfield Inn, but it looks like a great choice and similarly priced to the Hampton.

Lower Budget -- That's me this June. I'm trying the Knights Inn. Reviews make it sound like these are probably the most comfortable beds for the lower budget properties.

Cedar Point is great fun no matter where you stay. Last trip was concierge tower at the Breakers (higher budget). This June is a low budget trip, and I've done low budget trips before too.

Have a great time!

New York City, New...
3. Re: 1st time at cedars point 6/2&6/3

Kathy and Irish Lake...Thank you both for your input!

St. Louis, MO
4. Re: 1st time at cedars point 6/2&6/3

Have a great time. Let us know what you ended up doing and post a trip report. We leave on Wednesday morning -- flying into Detroit Metro (which is really in Dearborn) // relatives are picking us up at the airport and our mini trip begins.

LaPorte,Indiana
5. Re: 1st time at cedars point 6/2&6/3

Just stayed at Fairfield Inn Sandusky last weekend. Nice, very clean hotel.Highly recommend it. Definately check reviews on any hotel your considering as others suggested.We would stay here again.

6. Re: 1st time at cedars point 6/2&6/3

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, October 27, 2012