We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cedar point Accommodations

Which Sandusky hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis
reviews: 4
Cedar point Accommodations

I've been reading a lot of reviews. I wanted to stay at either Sandcastles or the Breakers due to the price break on tickets and option to walk to and from park. However mixed reviews of dirty rooms and some photos to back up those reviews have me worried. So basically, Is it worth the extra money to stay that close? 2. Is it worth being on the lake if the lake is dirty and not useable? 3. One complaint I read about Sandcastles is that the walk is actually pretty far. Any idea how far the walk is to the closest entrance?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
reviews: 65
1. Re: Cedar point Accommodations

The walk from sandcastle to the back entrance is no different than a walk from the middle of the main parking lot to the main entrance of CP, IMO. People are lazy. It's just not AS close and Breakers.

Yes, it is worth staying on the lake, because the view is beautiful. you would see an excellent sunset from Sandcastle.

If you want the convenience of getting the early entry to the park, the walking distance, and don't mind shelling out the money, then yes, it's worth it. The Lake is very usable. Just remember it's Lake Erie, and not the Atlantic, you will never see your toes in the water once you go in deeper than 6 inches.

Sandcastle just had a renovation last year, so if you get a dirty room, complain. Breakers has newer rooms in the Tower (I think, someone else who has stayed there recently will have to verify), and again, if your room is not satisfactory, complain. you aren't shelling out $200+ a night for a dirty room. You'll run the same risk at any other hotel/motel in sandusky.

If you DO end up staying at a CP property, you dont have to do the one day ride and slide. the after 5pm starlight ticket is a really good deal, you can get in a solid 5-6 hours of ride time then just get regular day tickets for the next day OR get the ride n slide for one day (if you really want to do the water park) and the starlight tickets for the day before. bottom line is soak city and CP in the same day is not such a great idea, you will miss out on a lot.

best of luck!

Ohio
reviews: 43
2. Re: Cedar point Accommodations

I haven't looked up the price difference between the on-site CP properties and the clean and functional "Mom and Pop" things in Sandusky, but the decision will come down to how much you value access to a very nice beach/lake. If you don't stay on-site (or know any of the neighboring homeowners), you will not, as far as I know, be able to access the beach. Other area beaches are at least 15 minutes away (Huron, not as nice) or longer (East Harbor, 30 minutes).

St. Louis, MO
reviews: 2
3. Re: Cedar point Accommodations

We just spent this past week in Sandusky. We stayed off-site at the Econolodge which was 2 miles away from Cedar Point for $80.00 per night. I did see the Breakers and Castaway Bay on our way to Cedar Point. To me, it would not be worth the extra money unless you wanted to use the beach. We were in and out of Cedar Point in less than 15 minutes. We went on a Monday and Thursday, though. We were shocked that there was no traffic to speak of. The Econolodge was older, but clean and perfectly suited our needs.

As far as the ticket price break and getting in the park an hour early, it wouldn't be worth it to me. It didn't appear to me that they had many of the "big" rides going during that hour, anyway. We got there early and stood in line for a half-hour, got a close parking spot, and went out to the car each day to get our water park stuff.

We did get to put our toes into Lake Erie. We took the Ferry out to Put-in-Bay, rented a golf car and found a private little beach. We didn't have our suits, but we put our feet in. My kids are used to the clear blue ocean of Mexico, so they were not that impressed, but it was beatiful in its own way.

I do believe that anyone can walk to the beach by the Breakers, although I am not positive, because I do believe they rent jet skis and offer parasailing ot the general public on that beach.

St. Louis, MO
reviews: 67
4. Re: Cedar point Accommodations

My favorite place to stay is onsite at the Breakers. I've stayed there three different times. I like being that close to Cedar Point, and I like the historic hotel (We've always stayed in the new section. I think it's neat having the lake right there too, and early entry is nice for getting some early rides on two great coasters. And I love relaxing at the pool / hot tub a little in the late afternoon, and then heading back to the park. I wouldn't take the time to do this unless I was onsite. My almost 50 year old body likes that break. Last time we did the concierge level. Staff pay extra attention there, and housekeeping is excellent. With the food offered, etc. and our teens, it was actually more economical for us there than on the regular floors of the new section. It really feels like a vacation when you stay here as you don't need to use your car for the whole stay. Everything is right there.// Worth it though is a tough question. You are paying a big premium for being onsite. The rooms are just fine and comfortable, but don't seem to be much for what you are paying. You are paying big time for location, ambience, and that vacation feel, and when you look at your room it's easy to say -- "What I'm paying this much for this." // For me it depends on my budget and what I'm looking for in the trip. Cedar Point is great wherever you stay. My last trip was at the Breakers, but the time before on a tight budget (extra unplanned trip) and we did the Econo Lodge. Another time we stayed at the offsite Hampton Inn (medium budget). It's farther away, certainly not the Breakers, but beds were very comfortable and they had an indoor pool and continental breakfast.

Edited: 11:51 pm, July 16, 2010
5. Re: Cedar point Accommodations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 13, 2011