We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Put-in-Bay is the Coolest Small Town in America ???

Which Put in Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Troy, MI
Destination Expert
for Put in Bay
reviews: 50
Put-in-Bay is the Coolest Small Town in America ???

Do you love Put-in-Bay? Help us spread the word by voting for PUT-IN-BAY, OHIO in the Budget Travel magazine "Coolest Small Town in America" contest. Go to budgettravel.com/contest/americas-coolest-sm… and vote for PUT-IN-BAY, OHIO!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Sandusky
reviews: 65
1. Re: Put-in-Bay is the Coolest Small Town in America ???

Of course it is! Very cool!

Van Wert
reviews: 2
2. Re: Put-in-Bay is the Coolest Small Town in America ???

I don't know about the coolest small town in America. It's a fun town where per capita the visitors probably have the highest BAC of any small town lol. Definitely a a fun lil island. Without the drinking culture it really doesn't offer a lot to travelers.

Sandusky, OH
reviews: 38
3. Re: Put-in-Bay is the Coolest Small Town in America ???

I think Put-in-Bay offers alot! My vote is in!

Troy, MI
Destination Expert
for Put in Bay
reviews: 50
4. Re: Put-in-Bay is the Coolest Small Town in America ???

Put-In-Bay offers quite a bit to travelers "without the drinking culture". There are many historical structures and activities associated with the island. (1) It was from the harbor called Put-in-Bay that Perry sailed to defeat the British fleet under Robert H. Barclay during the war of 1812. The American victory in the battle of Lake Erie gave the country and the United States Navy a memorable slogan of positive accomplishments, "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." (2) Today there stands at Put-in-Bay a beautiful Greek Doric column, the Perry's Victory and International Peace Memorial. This 352-foot granite shaft commemorates not only a naval battle but a peace which has lasted for more than 150 years. The 3,987-mile boundary between the United States and Canada is the longest unguarded international frontier in the world. (3) This peace is being commemorated this year with a flurry of different activities, celebrations, and events. (4) Visitors can also probe the depths of the caves, bicycle around the island, or sip locally produced wine or grape juice after taking tours of the caves and wineries. (5) The island used to have the 300 x 600 foot Hotel Victory with 625 guest rooms, at that time the largest resort hotel in America featuring the first coed swimming pool. (6) Every Sunday during the summer there is the antique car parade that delights the young and old alike. (7) Helicopter, biplane, kayak, jetski, and Segway tours are available on the island. (8) OSU's Stone Labs, Gibraltar Island, SBI Lighthouse, and Aquatic Center all offer educational tours and activities. The list goes on...

It's very easy to find non-drinking activities and history on the island if you look. I would dare say that only the barflys and pool-partiers are the ones being referenced as having high BAC. Don't bash the island without knowing everything it has to offer! Put-In-Bay is a beautiful seasonal resort community that offers different attractions to different people.

Edited: 10:06 am, June 25, 2013
Akron, Ohio
reviews: 67
5. Re: Put-in-Bay is the Coolest Small Town in America ???

I go with my family every year and we don't drink there....rent golf carts and tour everything! Caves, butterfly house, scenic homes, antique shops....something for everyone!!

6. Re: Put-in-Bay is the Coolest Small Town in America ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, June 27, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Put in Bay