We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay on the East coast?

Which Freycinet National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
reviews: 24
Where to stay on the East coast?

My husband and I are doing the loop around Tassie in June. We have two days to get from Launceston to Hobart and really wanted to see some of the east coast and Freycinet nation park. Where is the best place to stay overnight? Is staying in Bicheno to try and see the penguins worthwhile or is it better to be as close to the national park as possible? Any suggestions as to where to stay that is nice, not backpacking but not crazily expensive would be appreciated.

9 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 575
1. Re: Where to stay on the East coast?

Hi,

We recently did this trip & stayed at Swansea which was terrific. We rented a beach house for 2 days & explored the Freycinet Peninsula as day trips. Otherwise; I would recommend staying in the Freycinet NP at the Freycinet lodge in a waterfront cabin. See link below for additional info.

See my trip report below which may be helpful to you.

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i38962-Swans…

Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
reviews: 2
2. Re: Where to stay on the East coast?

We enjoyed staying at Freycinet Lodge right in the park (and that was before the renovations) however if I wanted to see the penguins I would be inclined to stay in Bicheno rather than drive back after dark.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 24
3. Re: Where to stay on the East coast?

Thanks Ellemay and Macknee for replying so quickly. Two votes for Freycient Lodge, as we are only in the area for a short time staying in the park would be an advantage. Will check it out :-)

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 54
4. Re: Where to stay on the East coast?

I've been to Freycinet twice and once stayed in Bicheno (about 30 minutes drive from memory) and the other time in Coles Bay. Even though Freycinet was at my door step in Coles Bay, I wouldn't stay there again. Very little to do (including eating options), and accommodation is expensive. I stayed in a pretty ordinary cabin at the caravan park for about $110 per night in late 2010.

In my view unless you really want to see the park at sunrise or sunset, then Bicheno and Swansea are better alternatives as the drive really isn't that long from these towns.

Tasmania
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
reviews: 72
5. Re: Where to stay on the East coast?

I agree with Simone's recommendation for Bicheno. I think it offers greater variety of accommodation and food choices. And the penguin tour is a clincher.

Luigi

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
reviews: 41
6. Re: Where to stay on the East coast?

My husband and I recently stayed at Bicheno and did a day trip to Freycinet. It is an easy half hour drive from Bicheno to Coles Bay.

Accommodation in Bicheno is cheaper than Freycinet (we stayed at the Wintersun Garden Motel - pretty typical motel but clean and comfortable).

The penguin tour is great - I couldn't believe how close to the penguins you get.

If you stay in Bicheno I recommend you have a BBQ one night as the butcher in town has great gourmet produce.

adelaide
reviews: 15
7. Re: Where to stay on the East coast?

if you stay at the Freycinet Lodge you can sit on the deck at the bar and watch penguins cruising around in the bay

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 575
8. Re: Where to stay on the East coast?

IMO Swansea offers better food choices than Bicheno especially regarding good restaurants. However; its not far between the two if you want to dine at a particular restaurant.

Enjoy the FNP !

Bunbury, Western...
reviews: 34
9. Re: Where to stay on the East coast?

When we went to Tasmania is was toward the end of the terrible bush fires. Our plans had to change in a hurry and we were luckily able to book in (with the rest of our tour group) at Best Western Beachfront Bicheno Motel. We loved the place and the staff were so accommodating to a tour group of 40 odd who needed to find beds in a hurry. We went on the penguin tour and it was one of the highlights of our Tassie visit. We had the most enormous meal ever at the Sealife Centre which is nearly opposite the motel. You can read all about our Tassie visit here: railway-train-travel.com.au/tasmania/13.bich… . Hope that helps.... Jean

Reply to: Where to stay on the East coast?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Freycinet National Park
More Freycinet National Park Topics