We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alton towers stay & peak district visit

Chatham, United...
alton towers stay & peak district visit

my boyfriend & i have tickets for alton towers on thursday 27th & friday 28th september.

we are looking for a cheap & convenient place to stay near alton towers for thursday night - possibly the wednesday night if the place is cheap.

we want to visit the peak district (or any other places that you can recommend) on the saturday. we would like a place to stay on the friday night, somewhere nicer ( i have been looking at log cabins in the area and like the look of some)

any suggestions of places to stay and things to do on the saturday would be appreciated.

thanks

Wetherby
reviews: 273
1. Re: alton towers stay & peak district visit

If you like caves there are a number of caves you can visit in the Castleton/Edale area.. Treakcliff Cavern, Speedwell cavern, Blue John Cavern to name a few. Most of these caves are semi natural, in that there were caves there, but they have been expanded by mining for the unique to the area semi precious gemstone Blue John.

If you like stately homes, then Chatsworth House ( near Baslow) is a great example.

Bakewell (home of the Bakewell pudding), Buxton(home of Buxton water) are worth visiting- I love the Thai restaurant Simply Thai in Buxton

The village of Eyam is tragically famous because so many of its residents died in the plague of the 17th century

If you are interested in Industrial Heritage then go to Cromwell (near Matlock) as this was the site of one of Arkwright's first mills.

There's good walking in every direction- great views from Baslow Edge and Curbar edge, Dovedale is chocolate box scenery, and the Manifold valley has natural cave, Thor's cave- which is free to visit. My favourite walk is Lathkilldale from Monyash.

I hope you have a great time!

2. Re: alton towers stay & peak district visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, December 13, 2013