We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not easy to walk to Jane Austen's Home in Chawton

missouri
reviews: 14
Not easy to walk to Jane Austen's Home in Chawton

Just a heads up if you are planning to visit Jane Austen's home in Chawton...you can walk there, but get good directions first. There are no signs for pedestrians. If you follow the signs for cars, you will end up walking down a highway.

When you come upon the roundabout at Alton Butts, ignore the sign pointing you down the highway and instead, take the street to the right. You will walk down that a ways and finally come to a pedestrian underpass which will take you under the highway. The other side is the village of Chawton. Follow that street a ways and it will take you directly to Chawton Cottage.

It is quite a walk from the train station, but do-able and enjoyable, if you don't get lost like we did!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
reviews: 42
1. Re: Not easy to walk to Jane Austen's Home in Chawton

Yes, the brown tourist signs are geared more for the car driver than the pedestrian.

This website suggests it's about 30 mins to walk from Alton railway station.

chawton.info/Visitor-Information/how-to-find…

Hope you enjoyed your visit to Chawton once you found it! What did you think of the house?

Just one problem - you've posted this in the Alton, STAFFORDSHIRE forum, not Hampshire!!

Edited: 4:56 am, June 18, 2010
missouri
reviews: 14
2. Re: Not easy to walk to Jane Austen's Home in Chawton

So sorry about posting it in the wrong place...I know just enough about forums to be dangerous. So I don't know how to move it now!

We loved Jane Austen's house and the village of Chawton. And it was a wonderful walk, even with our detour onto the highway!

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
reviews: 94
3. Re: Not easy to walk to Jane Austen's Home in Chawton

Thanks for answering the post Gilliganuk :)

Thought I hadn't heard of Jane Austen's Home ,Chawton around here HeeHee

Always looking for new places to visit around the UK for a short break, so your info could come in handy if we do decide to visit that area.

Thanks jmf3 :)

Edited: 10:04 am, June 18, 2010
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
4. Re: Not easy to walk to Jane Austen's Home in Chawton

It would be a long walk for you, StaffordJas, even if you took the motorway ;-)

jmf3 - you have highlighted an anomaly that I hadn't thought to think about (??) properly before. We can contact the mods to see if we can get an additional Alton added to the list. After all, our Alton is famous for Jane Austen; Staffordjas' Alton is famous for Alton Towers. (Brilliant theme park). Both would get a fair amount of interest on here, I'd have thought.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
5. Re: Not easy to walk to Jane Austen's Home in Chawton

OK, what I've done (and you can too, if you wish) is:

Click on 'write a review'

Select type as city/town

Type in Chawton

It'll say it's not there; click on the link that says 'tell us about it' and then you can ask for it to be added. I've asked that they either have 'Alton-Hampshire' and/or Chawton because of the Jane Austen connection.

Might happen if more than just me asks!

Brooklyn, New York
reviews: 38
6. Re: Not easy to walk to Jane Austen's Home in Chawton

Wanted to reply although I know that this post is not in the Alton, Hampshire forum! I read your post before leaving for England and what did I do? The same thing you did. I came to the roundabout at Alton Butts and veered left down the highway, instead of right down the lovely country road. Wasn't entirely my fault though as a helpful gentleman with good intentions got out of his car to point me in the right direction, but he thought the easiest way to get there was to walk down the highway and exit at the sign that read "Jane Austen Museum". I did this, and it definitely got me there, but kept thinking that I was going to end up in a quaint Alton hospital.

It's also good to know that the x64 bus does not run on Sunday. I had intended to take the bus from the Alton train station to Alton Butts and walk the rest. I don't think it's a long or particularly hard walk, as long as you take the country road and not the highway. There are no "Jane Austen Museum" signs until you are closer to the building, so make sure you have a map. The main road in Alton has restaurants and coffee shops if you need to take a break.

7. Re: Not easy to walk to Jane Austen's Home in Chawton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 21, 2011