We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

camping near alton towers?

england
reviews: 6
camping near alton towers?

hi any cheap camp sites within 10 mile radius of alton towers?had prices from nearby ones and bit expensive for my sisters family..all have cars so a bit of driving not a problem

134 replies to this topic
oakamoor
1. Re: camping near alton towers?

If you want the best campsite in the alton Towers area, then it has to be The Star Caravan & Camping Park at Cotton. This is about a mile away, and is great. Tel 01538 702219 or www.starcaravanpark.co.uk

London, United...
reviews: 25
2. Re: camping near alton towers?

I have camped at Quarry Walk site several times and it is beautiful.Four miles from Alton Towers and very reasonable prices,take a look at their website.

Anglesey
3. Re: camping near alton towers?

I've just returned from a weekend camping near Alton Towers, we stayed at Star caravan park and would NOT recommend unless you like living in a Gestappo regime.

Their staff talks to you like you are dog dirt, the whole site is at an impossible angle, and all the joys of the camping experience seems to have been surgically removed.

I've been camping for many years and have been to many sites all over the UK, I don't like rowdy sites as I have small children, but this was an extreme too far.

The person who said the best site is Star, probabaly works there as his profile says he's from Oakamoor which is a couple of miles away from Star. If this is so he'll be somewhat biased. Hope this helps.

england
reviews: 6
4. Re: camping near alton towers?

thanks for that a few people have said over strict,i rang them and said no bbq.s no drinking outside tent,no ball games etc so gone with another

Portsmouth
reviews: 2
5. Re: camping near alton towers?

The Star Caravan and Camping Park, Nr Alton towers.

I found Details of The Star as I suspect most do on the net, I didn’t however read any reviews UNFORTUNATELY. Well here’s mine if it manages to save just one family from having a miserable time then it will have been well worth one finger typing this for them.. I booked over the phone approx 4 weeks prior to our planned visit to Alton Towers, I booked for two "B" sized tents and booked electric hook-up pitches because I thought that I could borrow a hook-up cable and then the Females of our group would be able to straighten there hair and stuff. Sorry... our group consisted of myself, my wife our children (2 girls and a boy) and my nephew. We arrived at approximately 2.30 after having driven up from Portsmouth, I pulled up in front of an electrically operated barrier and as directed went into reception to do the paperwork and pay the balance.

I was asked to present my hook-up lead to site staff for inspection, After explaining that I hadn’t managed to get one and that I just wouldn’t be able to hook up ( Obviously )I followed some fellow to my car as he had picked up all my paperwork. He annoyed me straight away as he stuck his head right through the open driver’s side window and proceeded to explain to my wife where to go etc. I was stood right behind him and after being ignored once when I suggested that he pull his head out and explain it to me as I was the driver, I felt that I must insist when he started sticking things to the inside of my windscreen that would clearly have obscured my view. I can only put his actions down to him being a letch and nothing else. When in his directions he stated for us to keep the electric pitches to our left and head up the field and find a space I reminded him that we were on electric pitches. His reply was OH NO YOUR NOT I had to refrain from smiling to myself and replying in PANTOMIME fashion OH YES I AM, I explained that I had paid for electric hook-up to which he replied "but you haven’t got a cable so you wont be having one”. I went then into reception to try and explain that the fellow outside says I can’t have an electric pitch as I haven’t got a cable. They said this was right and when I asked if a had in fact paid for electric they stated yes but I didn’t need it. I felt at this point that I was in the twilight zone and maybe they were right and I was wrong in expecting what I had paid for, whether I was going to use the electric or not. I went back out to the car to have a moment... to find the bloke who had his head in my car running up the drive like some demented WILLY WONKA shouting back at me " FOLLOW ME I GOT JUST THE PITCH FOR YOU" not wanting to be pitched in the middle of a cow's field i asked at this point to speak with the manager/owner as i didn’t believe that everyone on this site could be rude and obnoxious and forgive me for saying STUPID. WRONG... The manager stated that I wouldn’t be pitched on an electric hook-up as these were at a premium (I THOUGHT THAT I HAD PAID THE PREMIUM) But did say I could get my deposit back and go elsewhere if I wasn’t happy, Funny how he was prepared to give me my deposit back but wouldn’t take off the difference between electric and non electric... If I had known the area and thought that I wouldn’t have struggled to get on another site with it being the school holidays I would definitely have gone elsewhere. Anyway I could go on and on with things like the excessive DO'S AND DONT'S (the use of water pistols being a don’t) And family not even being able to stay for 5 minutes having driven from up north to drop off my nephew. But I will end on hoping that the star will soon be known as supernova ( having burnt out and died ) I feel so strongly about it that if I had the money I would buy a couple of fields adjacent to theres and drum them out of business ( The star better hope and prey that I don’t ever win the lottery ).........

Derry, United...
6. Re: camping near alton towers?

As the owners of The Star Caravan & Camping Park, we also have the right to reply.

Our park started in 1981, and is, as it was then, a family owned and operated Holiday Park, for families and couples only.

Every year the park has to under go a serious of independant and un-announced inspections from various standards bodies.

These result in the following accredetations:

The AA 4 pennants.

Visit Britain 5 Star Holiday Park.

Vist Britain Rose Award Holiday Park.

Visit Britain Families Welcome Award.

David Bellamy Silver Conservation Award.

Welcome to Excellence 2009 Silver (Best Caravan Holiday Park).

RoSPA 4 Star Play Quality Award for our childrens play area.

RoSPA is Royal Society for the Protection of Accidents.

Our management philosophy is that of "fair play for one and all" In other words, show your fellow campers some respect, and act in a decent and law abiding manner, so as not to intrude on thier privacy and tranquilety. Have respect for their property, that they have worked hard to provide for their family holiday.

On our website www.starcaravanpark.co.uk we advertise and draw your attention to our Terms & Conditions, and our FAQ's (frequently asked questions) and encourage everyone to read them before you book.

Our park goes from strength to strength each year,with more enquiries, and more visitors each year.

So why do people keep coming back to us ?

There is a body of people out there, whom are looking for parks that provide the atmosphere that we are trying hard to create.This is where you can let your children play out in "The Old fashioned Way" without fear of a group of hostile young thugs lurking about-looking for trouble, without the late night revellers keeping your family awake until all hours - with campfire a-burning, without damage being caused to an innocent persons property.

There is no doubt that we do not always get it right, and sometimes we do get it wrong, but we do try and provide consistant high standards, clean family friendly facilities, fair prices - in undoubtabley the best location to Alton Towers. This is a safe park for you, and your family, to stay and play.

Thank you for taking the time to read my response, and I welcome ALL of your comments, without fear or favour.

The Park Owners of:

The Star Caravan & Camping Park,

Star Road, Cotton, Near Alton Towers,

Staffordshire. ST10 3 DW

Telephone: 01538 702219

No anonomous required.

Braintree, Essex
reviews: 1
7. Re: camping near alton towers?

Message to the owner of Star Caravan park, seeing as you must be the best person to ask. Where can a small group of middle aged men get accepted on a camp site? We wish to visit alton towers, have a bbq and drink beer probably till late! Can you recommend a park suited for this or do you have a spare field! haha.

Derry, United...
8. Re: camping near alton towers?

As much as we would like to help you, as you may gather, we are a family park, for Mums & Dads with kids.

You are best ringing the Leek tourist information centre on 01538 483741. They have lists of other parks in the area that may not have such a strict admission policy as ourselves.

Best of luck !

kent
reviews: 5
9. Re: camping near alton towers?

hello

we just returned from a fantastic stay at hales hall campsite, bout 5 miles from alton towers.

we (my husband, 3 kids aged 11, 4 & 2, and myself) were due to stay a couple of nights but ended up extending our stay.

it is clean, with friendly and knowledgeable owners, and is very reasonably priced.

the pub on site is a bit run down, it is not currently owned by the same people as the campsite but they are looking to buy it in the future and hope to update it, but it does sell cold beer and at sensible prices so what more could you want?

vince in the burger van on site does a great cuppa and bacon and egg roll in the mornings, and currys and stuff in the evenings.

the toilet block is impeccably clean and the showers are hot.

the only down point would be that you are on one of the main routes to alton towers so the road can get busy, but it is a big enough site to be away from the noise.

we were there when the pink concert was on and there were people we spoke to that got turned away from other local sites, even though they had been told there was space avilable, due to (they believe) tatoos and baseball caps,but we neither heard or had any trouble from any one

definately a site id recommend and revisit.

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
reviews: 110
10. Re: camping near alton towers?

hectic_housewife...

Thanks for recommending the Hales Hall campsite .

I will now be able to recommend to others visiting the area and asking for a good campsite on this forum.

Sounds like a good place and that they are trying to please!

Reply to: camping near alton towers?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted