We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What footwear do we need to buy for a Svalbard cruise?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Longyearbyen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Erpingham, United...
reviews: 56
What footwear do we need to buy for a Svalbard cruise?

We are going on a Silversea cruise to Svalbard in July. They suggest we buy Zodiac classic high boots at $99 pair to ensure you keep feet dry when disembarking from a Zodiac. Does anyone have any experience of this? If so, are wellingtons suitable instead?

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
reviews: 20
1. Re: What footwear do we need to buy for a Svalbard cruise?

Wellies will do, but do take a pair of woollen socks (or something like that) if it gets a bit chilly.

Longyearbyen has a normal temperature in July of a scorching 5.9 degrees. Last year it reached a massive 13 degrees on July 15th.

Lincs, England
reviews: 12
2. Re: What footwear do we need to buy for a Svalbard cruise?

I don't know anything about the tour you are going on but we were provided with wellies to get on/ off zodiacs on my tour so I would guess you'd be ok with your own wellies - maybe you could find out the height of the boot they're trying to sell you if you are concerned but as the zodiac generally stops on a beach area for you to get out and you get out at the shallowest part closest to the beach, i don't see why you'd need special boots. However i can only speak about the tour i did.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway
reviews: 21
3. Re: What footwear do we need to buy for a Svalbard cruise?

Wellingtons are fine, but make sure they are high enough, reaching just below your knee, and big enough, with room for two pairs of thick, wool socks. They also should have laces or some system of tightening above your calves.

4. Re: What footwear do we need to buy for a Svalbard cruise?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, January 06, 2014