We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow mobile tour Longyearbyen

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Longyearbyen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
reviews: 11
Snow mobile tour Longyearbyen

Hello, I will be in Longyearbyen in May this year: Can anyone please let me know what the snow scooter tours are like? What wild life could we possibly see? We are there 9-13th May. Also, is dog sledding better in the moring or afternoon?

Oslo
reviews: 60
1. Re: Snow mobile tour Longyearbyen

Don't know what animal you are likely to see on a snow mobile tour, but I guess polar bear can occasionally be seen from a distance, there are also reindeer and arctic fox.

Australia
reviews: 11
2. Re: Snow mobile tour Longyearbyen

Thnaks, we would love to see the King of the Arctic, must look hard,

Regards, BTT2

Oslo, Norway
3. Re: Snow mobile tour Longyearbyen

Hi! Just came back from Svalbard three days ago. We took a two day snowmobile trip to The Ship in the ice. Spectacular and unforgettable experience! I would highly reccomend that you book any tour through Basecamp explorer.

www.basecampexplorer.com

They also do trips to Isfjord radio, where you can stay over night.

They have fantastic guides who are very knowledgeable. They also do dog sledding trips from their Explorer station in Bolterdalen. As the midnight sun started the 19th of April, there's no difference between going in the morning or afternoon, except if the sun's out, then the snow gets heavier in the afternoon. (But go for the afternoon if you want to sleep late...)

I would actually recommend that you do the full day dogsledding with the visit to the glacier cave. We did the four hour trip, and that was ok, but not spectacular. Have a great time! we didn't see any polar bears, but you're almost guaranteed to see the Svalbard reindeer. Also, the birds are back, We saw huge flocks of little auks commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Alle_alle… swarming just like starrows.

Lisbeth A

Brooklyn, New York
reviews: 1
4. Re: Snow mobile tour Longyearbyen

Hi Lisbeth44! What company do you recommend for the dog sledding to the ice cave tour? I saw a company offering that online but wasn't sure if there was a company in particular who does an especially great trip (or if they are really all the same no matter which company you pick). Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited: 12:24 pm, January 12, 2013
5. Re: Snow mobile tour Longyearbyen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 14, 2014