We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing for visiting Svalbard in mid March

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Svalbard hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, England...
Clothing for visiting Svalbard in mid March

Hello!

I'd like some advice on the most appropriate jacket to wear in Svalbard during mid March. I plan to buy a down insulated jacket but cannot decide which type is the best. I've tried the The North Face Vostok Parka (700 fill down). Although I believe it would protect me more from the weather, it seemed quite bulky when I tried it as there was a considerable gap between the parka and the layers (a fleece and a sweater). Would this gap be a problem for the overall insulation?

This is the parka:

…thenorthface.com/tnf-uk-en/men-s-vostok-par…

An alternative would be to buy one of that common puffy down jackets with fill power of at least 700, but I'm not sure if they're sturdy enough for the task.

2nd option:

…uk.com/products/mens-clothing/down_1/p-neut…

I'd appreciate any advice or comments on this matter.

Thank you!

Huddersfield...
reviews: 2
11. Re: Clothing for visiting Svalbard in mid March

See my other post re svalbard not on multi trip. Socks were3 layers. Trousers were merino base, paramo cascada, then ski pants. ? Tops merino base, then two layers then down. And when we were out with dogs and snowmobiles we had their suuts on top. On snowmobiles you get big boots over 3 socjs. On your gead is neoprine balaclava then wool then full helmet. With dogs even though I had their boots on my toes got cauggt with cold any were very painful because I was sat down. Were were in minus 56 degrees with wind chill at one point. Sucha amazing place. Xx

London, England...
12. Re: Clothing for visiting Svalbard in mid March

Wow, thank you for your feedback Arctic-Tern57! Your experience sounds terrible and amazing at the same time! I plan to go on a 3-day snowmobile expedition and naturally am bit worried of drop down dead by the cold! lol...

Did you book your excursions in advance or when you got there? Where did you go?

To hang around the town photographing, I've got a 800-fill down hooded Rab Neutrino Plus jacket (…uk.com/products/…neutrino-plus-jacket.html), but can also get a sturdier 700-fill down TNF Vostok Parka (…thenorthface.com/tnf-uk-en/men-s-vostok-par…).

According to your experience, do you think the Rab one would be enough or should I go for the parka?

Please excuse me for asking too many questions, I'm just too excited with my upcoming trip!!!!

Huddersfield...
reviews: 2
13. Re: Clothing for visiting Svalbard in mid March

My jacket is a Rab neutrino extreme. Make sure you leave enough room underneath for three layers. I love my jacket I wore a thick rab fleece underneath. I wore it with the new hooded buff. The one with built in face mask. I have a photo to demonstrate us in the cold with ice on our faces. Dont know how to post it at present. Never have bare hands, silk liners were invaluable. When you put the all in one suits on you can barely move! I had boots a size too big to allow for three layers of wool socks. ok when walking and snowmobiling but not when sat on the dog sled. I am in my fifties and so we had a four hour trip to Elveneset. It is hard work. I was quite worried at times, I couldnt have done a full day as my first time out. we booked it before we went through spitsbergen travel. I would do it again it was amazing.

14. Re: Clothing for visiting Svalbard in mid March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 13, 2014