We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Filthy and unclean !!!!

Which Hersonissos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 2
Filthy and unclean !!!!

Does anybody else think that chersonissos is a dive I have recently returned from a 2 week holiday and thought the place was filthy every toilet in all the bars and restaurants smelt of stale urine the streets needed a good clean we went to stalks a few evenings and this was a much nicer place !!!!!!!

Devizes, United...
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 310
11. Re: Filthy and unclean !!!!

Whilst Hersonissos isn't everyone's personal cup of tea, we always go down into the town whenever we stay close by at Anissaras and have never seen it in the state you mention, and we've been going for close on 20 years. It's a lively resort, with some bars and clubs open until dawn, the street cleaners can't possibly be expected to be on 24 hour duty, especially given the size of the town and all it's back streets and alleyways.

Cut backs are cut backs, whichever way you look at them, Greece has no money and just as in the UK, first things to come under the cosh are public services. If the Brits ( and admittedly, the other nationalities that frequent the town in summer) all took their burger wrappers, empty tins and bottles, and general rubbish back to their accommodations instead of chucking it down on the streets, then Hersonissos would be a cleaner place immediately, as would anywhere.

Whilst public toilets generally leave a bit to be desired anywhere in Greece, most toilets in bars and restaurants are clean and tidy with soap dispensers and paper towels, if they smell, then it's only because people have peed all over the floor and can't be bothered to clean up after themselves.

12. Re: Filthy and unclean !!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:37 am, October 01, 2012
Devizes, United...
Destination Expert
for Crete
13. Re: Filthy and unclean !!!!

I don't need to simmer down, thank you very much for your concern though.

Yorkshire Dales
reviews: 15
14. Re: Filthy and unclean !!!!

lol :O) :O)

Athens, Greece
15. Re: Filthy and unclean !!!!

GB, the greeks are just as guilty as everyone else when it comes to leaving their rubbish around, if not worse.

i was reminded of this yet again yesterday whilst on a fairly secluded idylic beach. the 2 small groups on the beach threw their empty cigarette boxes on the sand and left behind empty plastic water bottles. this is not unusual as i see this kind of thing most days.

Devizes, United...
Destination Expert
for Crete
16. Re: Filthy and unclean !!!!

Bob, you are correct of course, but in places like Hersonissos, the majority of the rubbish in the streets is burger wrappers, pizza cartons, empty bottles, beer tins and the like. What I liked about Lesvos was that every beach seemed to have recycling bins on them, for paper, glass and plastic, trouble was, they were very small, and most of the time were overflowing.

The apartments we were staying at had a large green dumpster outside for rubbish, but it was always full within 2 days of it being emptied, and people left their rubbish in plastic carrier bags by the side which of course, the local cats and dogs then tore to bits looking for scraps, following which the wind blew it all over the area.

Athens, Greece
17. Re: Filthy and unclean !!!!

GB that is what it is like in most of greece.

there are no individual dustbins, just huge bins on the street. everyday i see my neighbours drive past the bins near to my house on their mopeds and throw their rubbish bags into the bins. if they miss the bin they just drive on. it is rare that anybody would get off their bike and pick up their rubbish.

at least the bins are emptied daily.

street cleaning is restricted to main streets only. all other streets are expected to be cleaned by the people who live in them.

London, United...
reviews: 8
18. Re: Filthy and unclean !!!!

Good No 11 post, GB!

Your post 16 re the scrounging cats and dogs of Lesvos reminds me of our one visit there - to Agios Theodoros, near Plomari - sometime during the 1980s. There were no bins then - or at least not on the street in front of our apartment - and the rubbish was left out in plastic bags. We were awakened at about 2 am one night by loud clattering noises, and looked out of the window to see five donkeys tearing open the plastic bags and getting busy on their contents. It was the funniest sight we have ever seen, and 25 or so years later we haven't stopped laughing.

Edited: 6:31 am, October 01, 2012
Kirkwall
reviews: 3
19. Re: Filthy and unclean !!!!

On our many adventures around Crete this year we noticed a small army of guys with blue plastic bags tidying up the roadsides, mainly along the National Highway.

Hopefully this clean up operation will continue and by the time we return next year they will have made it to the lay-by where we stopped to have our final Spanakopitta from the bakery in Kalives as, even after many trips to Greece, we were stunned by the hundreds of plastic bottles and other rubbish there.

I am no prissy tourist offended by the odd (hundred) fag ends on the beach or a Gyros wrapper that has missed the bin but any projects like this must be a good thing.

Don't start me on the graffiti in Chania!!!!

20. Re: Filthy and unclean !!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, December 14, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Hersonissos