We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shillong trip queries-Plesae help

Which Shillong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Noida, India
reviews: 1
Shillong trip queries-Plesae help

Hi Friends

I am visiting this north eastern part of India in coming April from 3rd April 2013 to 8th April’12. I have made one tentative itinerary. Please have a look on same.

Day 1: Arrive Guwahati airport and directly go to Shillong by taxi. Visit lakes, water falls on the way to Shillong. Overnight stay at shillong.

Day 2: In morning after breakfast visit Cherrapungee. Return back from cherrapungee after lunch and visit local sights in Shillong. Overnight stay at shillong.

Day 3: In morning leave for Kaziranga National Park. In evening enjoy jungle safari and overnight stay at Kaziranga National Park.

Day 4: After morning Elephant safari, leave for Gatoonga Tea Garden. Overnight stay at Gatoonga.

Day 5: In morning visit tea estates and enjoying local Tea. After that leave for Guwahati. In evening if reached on time enjoy evening cruise on river. Overnight stay at Guwahati.

Day 6: In morning up till lunch visit local places in Guwahati. After lunch go to airport and leave for Delhi.

Now i had following query:

1. Is this itinerary feasible in given time frame?

2. How we will commute their from arrival to departure? What will be tentative cost for that? Please also suggest names if you had.

3. What bookings i should made in advance like in Kaziranga National Park/ Tea Garden etc?

4. Is their any agency which will help me their in staying and commuting?

5. Any specific local places I must visit?

Please note that i have already made flight bookings, so days are fixed and i have early morning flight from Delhi and late evening flight from Guwahati.

Waiting for your valuable suggestions.

Regards

Arun Goel

caarungoel@gmail.com

Shillong, India
reviews: 133
1. Re: Shillong trip queries-Plesae help

Arun what time is your flight from Delhi?

Noida, India
2. Re: Shillong trip queries-Plesae help

8 20 it will reach Guwahati airport from delhi

Noida, India
3. Re: Shillong trip queries-Plesae help

8 20 in the mornin we will reach Guwahati

Flight is at 5:55 am from delhi

Noida, India
4. Re: Shillong trip queries-Plesae help

We have only 5 nights and 6 days and we want to cover Shillong/Kanakhya temple and Cherapoonjee for sure.Since we have very limted time with us plz sugges twhat should we include in out trip Kaziranga or Mawalymong in between?

Shillong, India
5. Re: Shillong trip queries-Plesae help

Oh so u are taking the 5am flight. Good. I would have liked it if you had more time for Meghalaya as there is so much to see and do here, definitely much more than what 2 days can offer, but lets try to make the best out of the 2 days.

My observations on your tentative iterinary:

Day1-

If you are planning to take the taxi, then it is 4 hours to Shillong and 6 hours to Sohra. If you start at 9am from the airport also, you will reach Shillong only till 1pm. Then lunch. And since it gets dark much much earlier in this part of the world, you will get to check out things only till 5pm. And in such limited time, you will get to see only 2-3 places.

Day2-

If you start from Shillong at 8am. You will reach Sohra only till 11am (say 1 hour spent on stopping over at Elephant Falls & Shillong Peak). Then Sohra Local Sightseeing will take atleast 5 hours (that also in a very rush manner) + 1 hour lunch.So it will be 5pm only by the time you leave Sohra. You will reach Shillong only by 7pm. And so, your plans for local sightseeing in Shillong again is spoilt.

Anyway here are my suggestions on Meghalaya (I hope guys from the Guwahati/Assam forum will be able to help you with the 2nd leg).

Day1 - 3rd April - Reach Guwahati by 8.20 am. Catch the 9am chopper to Upper Shillong. Reach Upper Shillong by 9.30. Proceed straight to Sohra. Reach Sohra by 10.30-11am. Whole day sightseeing. You can either spend the night in Sohra or come back to Shillong the same night. Halt

(I would have adviced you to spend the night at Sohra had you opted for the Double Decker Living Root Bridges Trek or Mawlynnong trip the next day).

Day 2 - Whole day Shillong sightseeing. Halt.

Day 3 - Proceed to Kaziranga.

Regards,

Karikor Kharkongor

Shillong, India
6. Re: Shillong trip queries-Plesae help

It would be a little difficult for me to suggest between Mawlynnong & Kaziranga. Since Kaziranga would be closed during the monsoons and Mawlynnong would lit up with flowers all over the place since it is spring time.

If I was to persuade you, I would have liked you to spend more time in Meghalaya and explore the Double Decker Living Root Bridges, the Mawphlang Sacred Groves, Mawlynnong village, David Scott Trail, Nartiang Monoliths, Laitlum, Smit etc etc.

However it is your call. And if you decide on just these 2 days also, it would be like an appetizer to what the state can offer. ANyway best time to visit Meghalaya in anycase would be October.

Noida, India
7. Re: Shillong trip queries-Plesae help

Hi Ashish!

Thanks after reading your repy got some idea.

We are travelling to Guwahati on 3rd April'2013 to 8th April 2013.

We want to coverGuwahati along with Kaziranga,Shillong cheraponjee and Mawlynnong .If possible we wantto cover Kamakhya temple aslo.

Is it too hectic to cover all.If yes please suggest some suitable itninery along with lodging and overnight stay options.Is is necessary to stay in cheraponjee overnight or can we cover both Mawlynnong and cheraponjee in one day and return to Shilong that very day??

We were initially thinking of staying 2 nights in Guwahati and 3 nights in shillong.Is it fine or any chnages are required.

Please help as are a couple and total strangers to this place .Is it ok to commute from helicpter from Guwahati airpot(flight will land at 8 20 am)to shillong.What wil the charges and do we have to prebook.

Also suggest travel options/ cost from one place to another and some hotels in range of Rs 2000-2500

Noida, India
8. Re: Shillong trip queries-Plesae help

Thanks Karikor .It was very helpful.Please helpe the following query too as I am very confused now:

We are travelling to Guwahati on 3rd April'2013 to 8th April 2013.

We want to coverGuwahati along with Kaziranga,Shillong cheraponjee and Mawlynnong .If possible we wantto cover Kamakhya temple aslo.

Is it too hectic to cover all.If yes please suggest some suitable itninery along with lodging and overnight stay options.Is is necessary to stay in cheraponjee overnight or can we cover both Mawlynnong and cheraponjee in one day and return to Shilong that very day??

We were initially thinking of staying 2 nights in Guwahati and 3 nights in shillong.Is it fine or any chnages are required.

Please help as are a couple and total strangers to this place .Is it ok to commute from helicpter from Guwahati airpot(flight will land at 8 20 am)to shillong.What wil the charges and do we have to prebook.

Also suggest travel options/ cost from one place to another and some hotels in range of Rs 2000-2500

Shillong, India
9. Re: Shillong trip queries-Plesae help

Well I am sure AshisRoy can help you. He would know how to plan better when it involves travelling in Meghalaya & Assam in the same trip.

Bangalore...
10. Re: Shillong trip queries-Plesae help

This was quite helpful for me as well.. We are planning a trip to Meghalaya during mid april... Please help us too