We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

German Village or Short North or...?

Which Columbus hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Greensboro, North...
reviews: 6
German Village or Short North or...?

My husband and I (late 40s, no kids) are going to be breaking a road trip in Columbus on Monday night, July 7. We could be in to town as early as 6pm and not in a huge hurry when we pull out in the morning. We are interested in lodging near interesting locally-owned businesses (shops, restaurant and/or brewery). I had heard that both German Village and Short North were cool areas. We might do hotel or B&B or whatever. Any guidance on which area is more likely to have anything interesting (or even open!) on a Monday evening for our short stop through Columbus? We'd really rather not do the highway-side motel and chain restaurant deal. Thanks for any guidance!

12 replies to this topic
Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
reviews: 23
1. Re: German Village or Short North or...?

Check out the German Village Guest House, if you like B&Bs. It's one of the best in Ohio and in a charming neighborhood. Nearby restaurants within walking distance include Lindey's, Schmidt's Sausage Haus, Barcelona, and other Columbus favorites.

http://www.gvguesthouse.com/

Check out the unique Shadow Box for a different attraction.

Read through this forum for much more.

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
reviews: 30
2. Re: German Village or Short North or...?

Short North has a denser concentration of shops and restaurants than German Village, and is likely to be busier. But they're both nice areas with unique local businesses. I don't think you'd really go wrong picking either neighborhood.

Columbus, Ohio
reviews: 45
3. Re: German Village or Short North or...?

Most everything will be open in both German Village and Short North, and both are great parts of the city. Short North has a more concentrated area of shops and restaurants, all located along High Street. It will be more crowded and there will be more of a night life vibe. If you wander down high you will find plenty of places to have a drink, eat dinner, and people watch. A couple of blocks off high is Goodale Park, which is lovely to have a wander around. If you stay here, check out Tasi for breakfast or brunch before you leave in the morning.

German Village is a prettier neighborhood to walk through, and shops and restaurants are scattered throughout. The poster above mentions Lindey's, which is one of the best in C-bus. From there you could walk to the Book Loft and wander through its many rooms, pick up treats at Pistacia Vera, one of our best bakeries, or walk through Schiller Park, also lovely. For a less fancy but equally delicious meal, Harvest would be a nice choice.

Columbus is fairly compact and easy to get around. Any downtown hotel will put you just a couple of minutes away from either location. Perhaps most importantly, both neighborhoods have a branch of Jeni's, the best ice cream in town.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach
reviews: 30
4. Re: German Village or Short North or...?

I just love walking thru German Village. The unique architecture of the homes and buildings, the little resturants, (some you can eat out on the sidewalk), the little green-spaces tucked away here and there and the dog-friendly Schiller Park. The Book Loft is amazing!

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
reviews: 20
5. Re: German Village or Short North or...?

My vote would be for Short North. I don't have anything against German Village, but I think Short North has more stuff (and is denser as pointed out) and I'm simply more familiar with Short North.

I'll also note that they're not that far apart. You can drive between them in ~10 minutes or so (exactly where to where will have a bearing) and you could even walk it, but it would be a bit of a hoof and I'm not sure I'd want to do it at night (as the area in between them will be "sparse" in terms of people on the street). You could always start with one of them and if you're not seeing enough of what you want to do and/or do everything you want, you could switch to the other one reasonably easily.

A few last comments on hotel options.

1. Short North is an easy walk from pretty much all of the hotels around the Convention Center.

2. There are a handful of hotels near the Capital that would be about mid-way between the two (but that's the area that gets pretty empty at night unless there is something going on). Also, my memory is that there is a Holiday Inn in this area that doesn't do well on TA (but that's an old memory).

3. Hotwire & Priceline deals are often possible on both the Convention Center hotels (if there isn't a convention going on) and the ones around the Capital. Obviously with any blind site you've got to know what you're doing so I don't suggest it unless you're willing to do your research and realize/recognize the potential pitfalls. I will add that I think the only hotel I would be worried about getting is the Holiday Inn I mentioned, presuming my memory is correct that it does poorly on TA.

That's all hope it helps,

hlo

Columbus, Ohio
reviews: 5
6. Re: German Village or Short North or...?

There are nice B&Bs in both locations. I'd echo everything the posters above said about the neighborhood vibes. I wanted to pop in to add that COTA (the local bus line) has recently added a circulator route between popular attractions downtown and immediately surrounding downtown. The CBus (http://www.cota.com/CBUS.aspx) is free to ride and runs between the Short North and German Village, with lots of stops in between. It'd be a nice way to visit both locations if you so choose without having to worry about driving around and finding/paying for parking.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 473
7. Re: German Village or Short North or...?

You can't go wrong with either option....and they are so close together it's easy enough to travel back and forth..

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
reviews: 18
8. Re: German Village or Short North or...?

Just where abouts is the Short North area ? Is it just north of downtown, I thought that was the University area.

Edit, oh thanks for the link to Cbus, ohbonobogir, I check where the bus goes and figure it out

Edited: 1:04 pm, July 31, 2014
Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
reviews: 23
9. Re: German Village or Short North or...?

Short North is on High Street, just north of downtown and south of Ohio State. There's a robust bus route on High St., but many persons walk there to and from downtown or Ohio State.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
reviews: 18
10. Re: German Village or Short North or...?

The Mopar Nationals are next weekend, Aug 8-10 and I never been to Columbus OH, I have been to Indy twice both times without my older car but this time I

thinking of taking it down from SE Michigan, in terms of safety how is the area say 10 miles north of Downtown, near I-270 & I-71, is it a nicer part of town or not really..I know how these safety questions can get out of hand, no place is 100% safe but some places are better overall then others

Reply to: German Village or Short North or...?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted