We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Columbus HELP - 2014

Which Columbus hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Georgia
reviews: 1
Christmas in Columbus HELP - 2014

HELP. I am visiting my sister in Columbus for christmas this year (12/20-12/26) and need help with good options for places to stay and things to do. My wife and I will have a 15 month old (by then) baby with us so I think Bed and Breakfasts are out. Don't want to wake up the whole house... My sister lives in Grandview Heights but while we don't want to be super far away we would trade some driving distance for being in a hotel that is in a good location and close to family friendly restaurants and/or attractions. I would stay initially our budget is $100 - $150 (+-) a night. Also, if you have any suggestions on places to go during that time I would love to hear it. I have heard the Zoo and COSI. Does the Zoo do anything special during Christmas time?

7 replies to this topic
Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
reviews: 23
1. Re: Christmas in Columbus HELP - 2014

Hyatt Place in Grandview Yard would be a good choice, but I don't know what the rate would be at Christmas. Can you use Priceline to search for four-star properties just in Grandview and not Columbus as a whole? There a couple restaurants within walking distance of that Hyatt, incl. IMO a very good Jason's Deli.

Check out the hotels on Olentangy Road that serve Ohio State, such as the Holiday Inn Express, and these are relatively near Grandview Heights.

The Franklin Conservatory is a favorite attraction in Columbus at Christmas.

If you can find a baby sitter, Shadow Box is a fun Columbus attraction.

Check out the aviation history attractions in Dayton, about one hour from Columbus.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60785-c185858/Dayton…

If you like hiking, check out the Hocking Hills southeast of Columbus. It has been rated as one of the 10 best state parks in the U.S. by Fodor's. Check out the Logan, OH, forum, and reviews under "things to do" for Logan (click on Logan in the upper left margin when in the destination forum). Also see the trip report in post 14 in the Ohio trip report thread:

http://hockinghills.com/

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28956-i265-k56830…

You also might check out Malabar Farm, where the Big House is decorated for Christmas (see the Mohican Region in the following travel article), and Ohio Amish Country. Both are particularly lovely with a coating of snow, far from guaranteed before January. They are one and two hours from Columbus respectively.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-s407/Cleveland…

Enjoy Columbus!

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
reviews: 31
2. Re: Christmas in Columbus HELP - 2014

I would second the Hyatt Place in Grandview Yard.

You might also check the new Homewood Suites on Lane Ave in Upper Arlington. It's across the street from Whole Foods and a small mall, and there are a number of places to eat around there. Honestly, in terms of amenities in the immediate vicinity, it's a better location than Grandview Yard, although as a Grandview resident, I feel disloyal saying that! ;)

There are also a couple hotels along Olentangy River Rd near Lennox Town Center which would be handy to Grandview.

Downtown Columbus is really not far either - it's just a few miles from Grandview. Although hotels there will be more expensive most likely, and you'd have to factor in paying for parking.

The zoo does a light display around the holidays. I haven't been, but I know friends with kids who have gone and enjoyed it.

Westerville, Ohio
3. Re: Christmas in Columbus HELP - 2014

I was going to suggest the new Homewood Suites Lane Avenue. Suites are ideal for the baby. Rusty Bucket across the street and Chattelaine next door are good family restaurants. Enjoy your visit.

Chicago, IL
reviews: 15
4. Re: Christmas in Columbus HELP - 2014

I agree with the Homewood suites or Hyatt place. The zoo has lights from after Thanksgiving to New Year's. We go every year. COSI is great and does some holiday stuff, but you will have to check the calendar. Alum Crrek has a driving lights display. The main library does a big train display in the lobby. The snowflake castle in Westerville is also fun.

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
reviews: 23
5. Re: Christmas in Columbus HELP - 2014

Battelle Darby Creek Metropark has a small buffalo herd.

metroparks.net/parksbattelledarbycreek.aspx

dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/05/3…

Columbus, OH
reviews: 36
6. Re: Christmas in Columbus HELP - 2014

Agreed on Hyatt Place at Grandview Yard or Homewood Suites in Upper Arlington. The later is close to a number of restaurants and shopping and minutes away from your sister and downtown.

Columbus, Ohio
reviews: 1
7. Re: Christmas in Columbus HELP - 2014

I couldn't say exactly where to stay but as for things to do...

The zoo does something called Zoo Lights around that time. They set up thousands of lights in beautiful displays, some set to music some just great to enjoy as you walk around. The zoo is huge, compared to most zoo's I've seen, so it is a great way to kill some time and enjoy a night. Try looking online for coupons, however, if you can't find any go to your nearest Kroger when you visit and you can buy slightly cheaper tickets there.

Reply to: Christmas in Columbus HELP - 2014
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted