We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affordable hotel options near convention center

Which Columbus hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
reviews: 36
Affordable hotel options near convention center

A family member will be taking the Bar at the Columbus Convention Center during the last week of July. She needs an affordable hotel (think along the lines of Days Inn, Holiday Inn, Red Roof Inn). She is driving down from the Cleveland area. Her concern is that the hotel must be in a quiet location and she will need wifi. I wasn't sure if or how the State Fair would affect our hotel options. Plus, there is concern about the commute time as it'll be during rush hour. Initially the Bar was at a different location so the plan was to stay in Grove City. Now she thinking of selecting a hotel closer to the Convention Center. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Westerville, Ohio
1. Re: Affordable hotel options near convention center

There is a Red Roof right across the street from the convention center.

…redroof.com/property/…

Cincinnati, Ohio
2. Re: Affordable hotel options near convention center

Thanks! We haven't had the chance to explore Columbus around that area but wanted to have some areas to check out in mind.

Chicago, IL
reviews: 15
3. Re: Affordable hotel options near convention center

Right around there is a Hampton Inn, Doubletree, Drury, RR Inn. There's also a Hyatt and Hilton, though my assumption is those are more. In grandview yard there's a Hyatt Place which may offer a shuttle service, I'm not sure.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
reviews: 20
4. Re: Affordable hotel options near convention center

I've stayed at nearly all the hotels close to the convention center and the Red Roof tends to have the lowest rates (but not always). The Drury is probably the next cheapest option (and is connected to the Convention Center. All of the ones near the Convention Center are just a few minutes walk away.

There are also a few a little bit south near the Capital and, while they tend to be higher-end hotels, I often see bargain rates for them on Hotwire. Generally these would be a few minutes with a cab ride or maybe a 15 minute walk or so. Do be aware that one of them (I think a Holiday Inn) doesn't do well on TA rankings/reviews if I remember correctly.

Can't help regarding how much of an impact the State Fair might be, but knowing it's happening at the same time would encourage me to book early and be less likely to hold out trying to snag a bargain rate.

Hope this helps,

hlo

Franklin, Ohio
reviews: 18
5. Re: Affordable hotel options near convention center

We always stay at Drury. Nice, clean hotel with WiFi and free evening snacks and breakfast.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
reviews: 30
6. Re: Affordable hotel options near convention center

When I took the Bar Exam in Philadelphia, I chose the hotel closest to the bar exam venue. I can't express how stressed your family member will be. As you head to the exam, you realize that the last three years of heavy study is not very valuable if you don't pass this test. It is awesome and terrifying at the same time.

If it means spending a few extra dollars to guarantee a close walk from the hotel to the Convention Center it is worth it. I can't imagine how I would have felt if I had been stuck in traffic on the way to the exam. Chances are good that the hotel will be filled with other bar exam participants so noise shouldn't be a factor.

If I had a choice between spending an extra $50 a night on the room or driving from another location to save the money, I would spend the money.

BTW, I took the Bar Exam for PA and NJ over 20 years ago and lived to tell about it! Please assure your family member that it is passable (look at how many attorneys there are) and to just take it one day at a time. Good luck!

Cincinnati, Ohio
7. Re: Affordable hotel options near convention center

Thank you for all your responses! Because this visit to Columbus is so extremely important (passing the bar) I want to make sure she'll have the best, least stressful environment possible.

Reply to: Affordable hotel options near convention center
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted