We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day/night in Columbus--this weekend

Which Columbus hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, WI
reviews: 8
One day/night in Columbus--this weekend

I'm in from out of town for Saturday of the weekend, leaving on Sunday. Need a few suggestions of what to do. I'm in my mid-30s and will be traveling with one other. Love beer, sports... less art/theater.

1. Brewery--if you had to pick one brewery tour to go on, which would it be? I'm from Milwaukee, so I'm looking more for a fun experience versus the science behind brewing beer (been there, done that!)

2. Is the zoo good enough to make the list?

3. Where is a good spot for dinner--sports bars, irish, or sushi are all good options.

4. We don't yet have a hotel yet--open to suggestions for areas to stay in that might be around the things you suggest!

2 replies to this topic
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
reviews: 20
1. Re: One day/night in Columbus--this weekend

Here's a few quick/semi-random comments/suggestions:

1. Can't help you with a brewery, but will note that there are a few brewpubs in the downtown area (Barley's, across from the Convention Center, is the one I've frequented the most).

2. In my opinion the zoo is worth it.

3. For dinner, etc. I'll suggest the Short North/Arena District. You'll find plenty of eating & drinking options (including a good sushi restaurant (in my opinion), Haiku, at High & Hubbard) in a fairly compact (walkable) area. Something like a 30-45 minute walk will take you from one end to the other (there's actually more, but that will cover the greatest concentration of stuff). I also suggest Jen's Ice Cream for dessert!

4. For hotels consider those around the convention center. There's a few on Nationwide, just south of the convention center and a few more along High (west of the convention center). If there's not anything going on at the convention center you might even be able to snag a deal on Hotwire/Priceline (but that of course raises a whole bunch of issues too). Any of these will be an easy walk to the Short North/Arena district.

That's all for now, hope it helps and that a local(s) will chime in before too long,

hlo

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
reviews: 23
2. Re: One day/night in Columbus--this weekend

Jeni's Ice Cream, oft ranked as the best artisan ice cream in the U.S., is something to add to your bucket list. German Village is fun, perhaps check out the German Village Guest House for lodging (probably already booked), but its website has great links for German Village.

Easton Town Center is a Midwest shopping mecca.

Even though you don't like theater, check out Shadowbox, which is somewhat unique with some of its offerings -- think rock/comedy.

If you're a golfer, check out the Jack Nicklaus Museum at Ohio State. Visit the Ohio Union at Ohio State to get your picture taken with Brutus Buckeye on his bench, something that Cheeseheads might have fun with (bring your cheeseheads and I'll leave the photo op to your imagination) as long as you don't offend any of the nearby Buckeye faithful.

The Wilds (affiliated with the Columbus Zoo; a May open air tour, especially beginning in the morning cool when the animals are more active) near Zanesville, the Longaberger attractions (world's largest basket), and the mouth of the Big Muskie, which created The Wilds, all may be more unique alternatives east of Columbus to the zoo.

http://www.thewilds.org/default.aspx

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2184

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/10658

Also, check out the Hocking Hills, a favorite destination of Ohioans, especially the romantic cabins. Hockinghills.com.

The top attraction in the region are the aviation history attractions in Dayton, one hour west of Columbus.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60785-c185858/Dayton…

Is this part of a road trip? E.g., Ohio Amish Country around Walnut Creek is two hours to the northeast. Canton with the Pro Football Hall of Fame also is there. Also check out the Ohio Reformatory in Mansfield and Malabar Farm, discussed in the Mohican Region in the following travel article, if movie fans.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-s407/Cleveland…

Enjoy Buckeye land!

Reply to: One day/night in Columbus--this weekend
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted