We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

COSI with Kids, and need reccomendations

Which Columbus hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
reviews: 6
COSI with Kids, and need reccomendations

Hi everyone!

We are traveling to Columbus for a 3 day weekend in May. It'll be myself, a friend of mine, and my 2 boys aged 5 and 7. Our big reason for being there is for COSI, but we're looking for 2-3 other smaller/easier and preferably outdoors things to do on Friday afternoon and Sunday morning. Stuff like a cool park, playground, nature center, etc. My boys love dirt, legos, bugs, reptiles, and sand pits.

We'll also need some good food type places- nothing that is a chain outside of Columbus please. We plan to check out the Book Loft but would also love to see any really neat libraries Columbus might have. That's kind of our thing. Thanks so much!

Michele

8 replies to this topic
Columbus, Ohio
reviews: 26
1. Re: COSI with Kids, and need reccomendations

Hi :)

Columbus has a fabulous metro parks system which frequently offers free programs for kids esp. when the weather gets warmer. I'm not sure exactly where you will be staying but you can get info on all the parks and a list of programs being offered here: http://www.metroparks.net/

The Book Loft is in the German Village area and there are many excellent places to eat there including Schmidt's....not sure if the kiddos will enjoy it but here is the website: http://www.schmidthaus.com/

There is also a restaurant very close to COSI called the Spaghetti Warehouse. Cool atmosphere, average food. Fun for kiddos.

You might also want to checkout the main branch of the Columbus Metropolitan Library at 96 S Grant Ave...its really beautiful. Not sure they are open on Sunday's but here is the website: http://www.columbuslibrary.org/locations

Another fun thing to checkout is Easton Town Center. It is like a huge outdoor mall with a movie theater, Lego Store, restaurants etc...They have fountains you can just sit and relax by and the kids can run around.

COSI is fun but I hope you come prepared to spend big $$. I recently went in March and for 2 adults and one child it was $85 just to get in the door-And we didn't even do the Sherlock Holmes exhibit...it was extra.

Hope you have a good time :)

Columbus, Ohio
reviews: 5
2. Re: COSI with Kids, and need reccomendations

The Scioto Audubon metro park (www.metroparks.net/parkssciotoaudubon.aspx) is fantastic and close to downtown. It has a great playground, and if the weather's not so great, there's an indoor play gym, puppet theatre, library and lots of neat stuff to look at. Food-wise, make sure to check out the North Market. Even if you only get pizza, the kids may really enjoy wandering around and checking out the different foods available. Have fun! COSI is pricey, and everyone in Columbus will tell you they like the "old COSI" better, but it definitely is a great way to spend a day.

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
reviews: 2
3. Re: COSI with Kids, and need reccomendations

Cosi is a great choice for the kids if they have exhibits that your seven year old will like; I recommend mainly focusing on the I believe it's called Kids space or toddler space for the five year old with maybe a few exhibits that will interest him depending on his tastes at that age probably any of the water exhibits. The Santa Maria is not currently available that would've been a good choice especially since some Sundays and other days the Columbus zoo animals truck would be available and since most people weren't aware it would not be very crowded. I also would check out Columbus rec and parks website as well for park options that might be at Schiller since you will be visiting the book loft. Scioto Audobon is a really good choice if the children love nature but surprisingly they might not enjoy the kids playground as much. Also other metro parks will probably have some kid oriented hikes or programs saturday or sunday that may interest the kids more such as the tram or the nature center at blacklick or wading in darby creek for all kinds of amphibians. If your kids love to get wet and you don't mind them being wet that can be fun as well as going to the fountains behind and across cosi and letting them "semi play" Also check out Columbus Commons website to see if they have any kids activities during the weekend you'll be here. Not sure with the new condos being built if they will or not. Also for kids dining you might be interested in Philips Coneys just diagonal from cosi and across from spaghetti warehouse. For the adults you might be interested in Food truck park if it will be open which is not to far from Cosi. Also in the area is a fire museum that the kids would probably be interested in. If you private message me with particular interests of the kids and adults I can ask around with kids if they have any other suggestions within the immediate area or not too far of a drive away.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 195
4. Re: COSI with Kids, and need reccomendations

Been 4 years since I've visited COSI At the time, I went with my 2 year old niece/nephew. Not impressed. I agree that is it very pricey. However-- I think the age of the boys would be good. It struck me that elementary age kids would enjoy COSI the most. 2 was much too young to enjoy most of the offerings.

My favorite metro park with kids: www.metroparks.net/MapSlateRunFarm.aspx

They always have critters to see and pet. Horses, cattle, hogs, chickens.... and on weekends, they have people dressed in historic garb and things going on. Have to check their calendar to see what might be going on for your time frame.

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
reviews: 23
5. Re: COSI with Kids, and need reccomendations

Wings' post reminded me that Battelle Darby Creek also has a small bison herd.

metroparks.net/parksbattelledarbycreek.aspx

Chicago, IL
reviews: 15
6. Re: COSI with Kids, and need reccomendations

We go to COSI all the time with my three-year-old. He loves most areas including the little Kidspace. Little Kidspace is only for younger than kindergarten, so the 7 yo wouldn't be allowed in (they have a separate area for "big" kids right there. I'm not sure how they police that as my kid is obviously under the age limit.

Sunday mornings the art museum is free and they have a neat wonder room.

Schiller Park in German Village is nice to walk around and I agree with the Audobon park recommendation. There's also the zoo, though that is farther.

Restaurants...we love Rusty Bucket. There are locations throughout the city.

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
reviews: 23
7. Re: COSI with Kids, and need reccomendations

Would your boys like gourmet PB & J sandwiches?

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/33189

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 6
8. Re: COSI with Kids, and need reccomendations

Thanks to everyone for your tips! These ideas are perfect. I'm not too worried about the cost of COSI since we are using our local science center membership for a price reduction.

The PBJ and Lego store are top of the list! Thanks!!!

Reply to: COSI with Kids, and need reccomendations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted