We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Colombus First weekend of March 2014

Which Columbus hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Simsbury...
reviews: 1
Traveling to Colombus First weekend of March 2014

Our family is traveling to Colombus the first weekend in March. My son recently was accepted to OSU and we will visit the school on Monday but want to get a feel for all of Colombus. What are some essential must - see places or events going on that weekend to give us a feel for the city.

Thanks for any information.

19 replies to this topic
ohio
reviews: 3
1. Re: Traveling to Colombus First weekend of March 2014

I believe that is the weekend of the Arnold Sports Festival which is a big event in Columbus and could impact plans you may have for the downtown area which is south of the OSU campus.

Congratulations to your son!

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
reviews: 30
2. Re: Traveling to Colombus First weekend of March 2014

Congratulations! My daughter is a Buckeye and couldn't be happier. Like you, we hail from the East Coast. She has found a wonderful home at Ohio State and I am sure your son will too!

Also like you, we visited OSU during the first weekend of March two years ago. I believe they hosted a scholars day on that Saturday. Are you attending this event? It was excellent in that it allowed my daughter to sit in on lectures with some of the most dynamic professors at OSU (I can't believe all of them could be a good as the ones she heard). She spoke to one of the profs after the lecture and to this day, he is her mentor and provides her with excellent guidance. If you are not attending such a scholars day, I strongly urge you to take the tour offered by the school. For some reason, OSU elicits a strong passion for the school in their students-I suspect it has been fostered for most of the in-state students since birth- so that these tour guides become the biggest cheerleaders for the school. I've been on this tour 5 times with my kids and some of my friend's kids. It does not disappoint.

As for travel, it will be crowded because of the Arnold Schwarzenegger Sporting event called The Arnold. The good news is that Columbus is a big enough city that you should not be terribly impacted although you may have to stay a little further away from Campus. For Campus visits, I highly recommend the Hyatt Place OSU, the Hilton Garden Inn on Olentangy River Road or the new Homewood Suites on Lane Avenue. If they are full or cost prohibitive, head up to the Worthington area. (See my Dummies Guide to OSU Football found on this forum. It provides hotel info that may be helpful.)

Living in Connecticut, you and your son may spend a good amount of time in NYC as do we. Well, there is a fun area near campus that offers a bit of Soho right in Columbus. It is the Short North area just south of campus on High Street. Restaurants, cafes and galleries all combine to offer a wonderful atmosphere although it will likely be crowded that weekend. A favorite restaurant for our family is Marcella's. Delicious Italian food. It is owned by the Cameron Mitchell group (the Columbus version of Danny Meyer in NYC or Stephen Starr).

As for the campus itself, spend time in the gorgeous Ohio Union. Walk along High Street near campus. Make sure to visit the RPAC, the amazing gym/sports facility that all students may use any time they want! The Library is gorgeous offering study rooms, high tech conference facilities and rooms, and a great coffee shop. Have lunch at Kennedy Commons. It is the all you can eat cafeteria on South Campus. Get an ice cream cone at the Ohio State Dairy next to Mirror Lake and, if weather permits, stroll around the lake and over to the Oval. If you are lucky, the local celebrity will be there...who is this, you may ask, well, a couple of grad students own a small pot bellied pig. They spend a lot of time hanging out in the Oval. This pig is a riot sporting various coats and generally greeting all who are willing to visit!

Take a drive to the east of HIgh Street. The fraternity and sorority houses are located in this area (take 15th east toward Indianola Ave then turn left on Indianola) Not only will you see the Greek houses, you will get a look at the typical off-campus student housing. Compared to home, this area is a bit dumpy but to a college student it is like heaven! The gorgeous, well kept sorority and fraternity houses are juxtaposed next to student ghetto housing. Old Victorians that are now home to students galore. Actually, the houses are quite lovely and the neighborhood beautiful but some of the houses inside are, well, student housing. The streets and sidewalks will be teaming with students (as long as you don't arrive too early in the day on a Saturday or Sunday) It is typical college town chic and you just know that someday you will be anxiously dropping off your precious cargo to live in one of these dumps as he smiles and waves good bye to you so satisfied with his living arrangements!

There are a lot of great college type restaurants on High Street and Lane Avenue. We like the Irish Pub at the Gateway Center and Eddie George on High and 15th (I believe).

One other area to explore is Grandview Heights. Another Soho-esque area. Lots of great restaurants. It is only about 10 minutes west of campus down 5th Avenue (and Grandview Street). Our favorite restaurants are Matt the Millers (amazing flatbreads!), Spagio (great wine selection and upscale Italian Midwestern food-think grilled Walleye served with marinated grilled vegetables-yum!) and Grandview Cafe for bar food done right!

That's about it for now! Enjoy your trip! Please let us know how your trip went. We love to hear back from people after they visit!

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
reviews: 23
3. Re: Traveling to Colombus First weekend of March 2014

Visit German Village. Lindey's is a great place for Sunday brunch (reservations needed ASAP) or for any meal. It along with Schmidt's Restaurant and Sausage Haus (no reservations accepted) are Columbus and personal favorites. If you enjoy books, don't miss the Book Loft and the adjacent Cup O' Joe. The original Max & Erma's is in German Village and is charming. Schiller Park (check out the Umbrella Girl) is a great walk in nice weather.

www.gvguesthouse.com/historic-german-village/

Parking is an issue in all of Gerrman Village, but Lindey's offers free valet service.

The Ohio State House and the Ohio Judicial Center are historical buildings worth a visit. Check out the Franklin Conservatory and COSI.

Closer to Ohio State, Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream is a must visit. Its artisan ice cream has been ranked as the best in the U.S. The original store is in the North Market, worth a visit, and there is a store on Short North (High Street south of campus). North Star Cafe is another Columbus eatery, highly rated by TA reviewers and on High Street south of campus.

On campus, don't miss touring the Thompson Library and checking out the views from the top floor. Check out what's happening at the Wexner Center. Visit the magnificent Ohio Union and take pictures with Brutus Buckeye on his bench. Ohio State has a great theater department. Perhaps look for a production during your visit. Of course, Ohio State has magnificent athletic facilities -- perhaps an event is scheduled during your visit. For golfers, the Jack Nicklaus Museum is on campus.

Easton Town Center is a Midwest shopping mecca.

The big attraction near Columbus is the aviation history mecca in Dayton, one hour from Columbus.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60785-c185858/Dayton…

The Columbus Zoo in Powell is one of the best in the U.S., according to some rankings.

The Hocking Hills, over an hour southeast of Columbus, is one of the most beautiful destinations in the state, regardless of the season.

Check out the Columbus posts of momstravel for the last several years (her daughter is an OSU student and moms is a great TA poster).

www.tripadvisor.com/members-forums/momstravel

Enjoy OSU and Columbus!

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
4. Re: Traveling to Colombus First weekend of March 2014

As I said, Moms is a great TA poster! You've been blessed with her experience and time!!!

If you stay at the Hyatt, check out Jason's Deli in the same center.

Edited: 8:20 am, February 18, 2014
new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
reviews: 30
5. Re: Traveling to Colombus First weekend of March 2014

Thanks Trans! I appreciate the endorsement! We will have to check out Jason's during our next visit!

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 522
6. Re: Traveling to Colombus First weekend of March 2014

Excellent post TranscendentalEye! Covers Columbus very well!

youngstown, ohio
reviews: 52
7. Re: Traveling to Colombus First weekend of March 2014

My son graduated from OSU last May. Above suggestions are right on..Marcellas for dinner. Short North area is great to walk and enjoy the stores. The North Market is an indoor market with great food. Nice to visit on a Saturday morning. If you like to shop, Easton is great. Columbus is very easy to drive in. One tip, if you plan on visiting on game day, book your room way in advance. Congrats to your son becoming a buckeye.

My son said it was the best 4 years of his life.

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
8. Re: Traveling to Colombus First weekend of March 2014

Moms, Jason's is a national chain, specializing in healthy food. I don't know if you like chains.

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
9. Re: Traveling to Colombus First weekend of March 2014

Also check out the schedule for Shadowbox Live. It's something different in Columbus and it can be a very good time if you catch the right show.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g50226-d23…

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
reviews: 995
10. Re: Traveling to Colombus First weekend of March 2014

Great ideas!! We are planning a trip to Columbus this year, a long weekend. Moms and Trans gave great advice and I have some new ideas to consider now! Thanks so much. I figured if I popped into the OH forum, I'd see something from you two! Thanks to Deborah, too.

Reply to: Traveling to Colombus First weekend of March 2014
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted