We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red, White, and Boom

Which Columbus hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Red, White, and Boom

Does anyone know of a good place to watch the fireworks that is not super crowded? Thanks!

Columbus, Ohio
reviews: 115
1. Re: Red, White, and Boom

That is the question. I'm by no means an expert but here's my input. If you want to be close and feel the boom there's really no place unless you book a hotel room that faces the fireworks (and they're already booked).

You can move further out of town and find something like a parking garage. When our kids were smaller we watched it from the top of the airport parking garage; there were a bunch people there and it was an event, but you're pretty far away. I've wondered if the parking garages at OSU campus or Riverside Hospital might be good spots.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Enjoy.

Columbus, Ohio
reviews: 85
2. Re: Red, White, and Boom

Shhh!! Don't tell too many people, but if you head west on Goodale (past Neil) and up around Michigan and Thurber roads, there are open lawn areas. We watched the fireworks here a couple years ago with friends. The crowd was mixed of young/old, friends/couples, and families. There is plenty of free parking down the side streets. Some people had their radios dialed into the local station playing the patriotic music as the fireworks were going off.

Columbus, Ohio
reviews: 85
3. Re: Red, White, and Boom

Shhh!! Don't tell too many people, but if you head west on Goodale (past Neil) and up around Michigan and Thurber roads, there are open lawn areas. We watched the fireworks here a couple years ago with friends. The crowd was mixed of young/old, friends/couples, and families. There is plenty of free parking down the side streets. Some people had their radios dialed into the local station playing the patriotic music as the fireworks were going off.

Also try Rhodes Park, off of west Broad St. There is plenty of people watching to do before it gets dark.

Ohio
reviews: 17
4. Re: Red, White, and Boom

I do believe there is a new launch site, not sure if this is the first year for it or not.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 196
5. Re: Red, White, and Boom

bite the bullet and fight the crowds :) There really isn't a good spot. However-- what we DID start doing was a park and ride-- lots of them around. Let the COTA bus take you in and drop you off and then back to the car park. WAY easier and more enjoyable than fighting the traffic in and out.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Sandusky
reviews: 65
6. Re: Red, White, and Boom

This mornings radio news was that COTA employees were going to stage a strike the day before RW&B if a contract wasn't re-negotiated.

We are going and will be watching from West Broad st. We are getting to our destination for a big party around 5pm. :-) We don't care about the crowds. It'll be my first time, and the first for our kids. (My husband has been before). I'm hoping it measures up to the WEBN Labor Day fireworks in Cincinnati.

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
reviews: 31
7. Re: Red, White, and Boom

I used to live on Thurber and can second BuckeyeTravelers_08's recommendation. I used to be able to watch the fireworks right from my balcony. It would start getting parked up later in the evening, but it's not like Goodale Park or spots downtown where people would be arriving early in the morning to get spots.

Now that I live in Grandview, I just watch on TV.

8. Re: Red, White, and Boom

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:46 pm, June 27, 2013