We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants from Courtyard Downtown June 10-12th 2011

Which Columbus hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati
reviews: 2
Restaurants from Courtyard Downtown June 10-12th 2011

A group of six of us in our late 20s early 30s are traveling to Columbus from Cincinnati. We are staying at the Courtyard Downtown and would like some great restaurants and bars to check out. Preferably within a mile. The one's I have noticed so far are Barrio, El Arepazo, Latitiude 41, Flatiron Bar, Tyfoon, Deep Wood, the Burgandy Room, Lemongrass, Rigsby's Kitchen, Level, M restaurant, Basi Italia. Which ones are best? We will go to Jeni's for ice cream. Possibly Cafe Brioso or Mozart's North Market Bakery for Breakfast. Also, will be spending some time in German Village. Whick restaurants should we check out there? For Bars we will check out the Elevator. Where in the Brewery district? (any others?). Any other things we should do while in Columbus?

Columbus, Ohio
1. Re: Restaurants from Courtyard Downtown June 10-12th 2011

You are within walking distance to the Arena District which has a number of bars and restaurants that would probably appeal to your group. Knead which is in block north of the North Market might be a place to try to breakfast on Saturday. It doesn't open until 10 but it has an interesting menu. You have some really good restaurants on your list but they may not have the bar scene you are looking for. I like them but I am much, much, much older than your group. You can check out most of their menus online. If you are looking for one upscale meal, I would suggest M,(you would have to drive there, not far but not really walkable, Deep Wood or Rigsby's, the last two are in the Short North..walkable, maybe a hike if all dressed up. In German Village for upscale, try Lindey's. And Jeni's..an absolute must.

Edited: 7:07 pm, March 10, 2011
Cincinnati
reviews: 2
2. Re: Restaurants from Courtyard Downtown June 10-12th 2011

We are a fairly casual group. Like more wood and exposed brick kind of bars plus/minus live music that we don't have to get dressed up for. Dinner out is either or.

Columbus, Ohio
reviews: 86
3. Re: Restaurants from Courtyard Downtown June 10-12th 2011

A lot of the restaurants you mentioned are very popular choices for dining. Rigsby's is great. Due Amici is another great restaurant on Gay St. In German Village, there is always Thurman's, Old Mohawk, Hey Hey Bar, Plank's. What type of dining experience are you looking for? The Burgundy Room is a personal fave of mine. I have been to Flatirons...and I have to say I didn't think it was that great. The building is cool though. I am glad you are checking out the North Market - I try to go here once a week. The food selection is endless and never disappoints. Here, I would suggest Nida's Sushi (hands down, best pad thai and sushi) and Clever Crow Pizza (I would recommend the roasted veggie pizza)....and of course Jeni's. Pastria (Italian), and Taste of Belgium (excellent waffles) are all located here. Omega Baking is also very good....super delicious pepperoni rolls! If you are looking for another breakfast place, you might want to try Skillet. It is in Merion Village, which is right next door to German Village.

Have fun!!!

Columbus, Oh
Destination Expert
for Columbus
4. Re: Restaurants from Courtyard Downtown June 10-12th 2011

You may also enjoy Little Palace and/or Dirty Frank's Hot Dog Palace and/or The Jury Room.

In German Village, Club 185 is fun.

Columbus, Ohio
reviews: 1
5. Re: Restaurants from Courtyard Downtown June 10-12th 2011

Not sure when you say plus minus of live music nor what type of live music you might be looking for. Also not sure what type of bar your looking for also, most restaurants you mentioned have bars. As of right now will just give you info on what you mentioned.

Barrio is a good restaurant and nice side patio when the weather allows it (they have a bar).

El Arepazo (no bar) or Big Arepa is mainly open during the lunch and early evenings I think closing at 4 or 5.Nice menu with some things executed better than others, The El patacon is what they are known for which is pretty good but I like my aunties better but mainlly because her plaintain is more ripe.

Latitude 41, Deepwood, M (bar@all) are going to be similar in pricing and style but yet different.

Burgandy is going to be a good place if your group doesn't mind sharing, it's a tapa's style and wine room so that can be fun to share and enjoy diffrent items. Flatiron (bar) I beg to differ in the previous poster and I think is good, nice building quiet normaly after typical lunch hour which is after 12-1. Picks back up in the evening.

Tyfoon, Lemongrass (bar@both) focus more on your sushi and sushi fusion or asian fusion with more of the latter being at lemongrass. I lean more towards Lemongrass but both have strong points.

Rigsby's and Basi (Bar@both) are going to be your itlian with Rigsby adding a mediterranian flair.

Level is well Level the food is kind of amerio-fusion and it's good, sometimes service can be hit or miss and who's in your crowd can sometimes play a part, it's going to be your bar/restaurant/ and casual club kind of rolled into one.

Okay so on to the question of which are the best, well they all are good just depends on what your looking for to eat, spend and atmosphere. They all have websites check them out and even do a keyword search on here for the ones you choose for a review. In regards to German Village restaurants again depends on what your looking for in taste, spending, and atmosphere. One that have been featured on tv would be Thurman's, Ohio Deli though not in german village, and Schmidt's Sausage house, although these are just a few of the many varied choices.

Elevator brewing company is actually on high street close to your hotel, Columbus brewing company is in the brewery district and I actually just did a post on other breweries in the area on another post in the forum you should check that out just do a keyword search on brewery. Keep in mind though that these are brewery restaurants not necessarily bars in the traditional sense similar to Rock Bottom or BJ's in cincinnati. Only one has a pool table and that's Gordon Biersch. I think you might be interested in a short north food tour so you should check out columbusfoodtours. In regards to actual bars there are plenty in walking, riding, driving distance. If you'd like to message me with any questions or some of your specifics your looking for I'd be more than happy to suggest some and point you in the direction.....Enjoy columbus!

your destination expert

Columbus, Ohio
reviews: 9
6. Re: Restaurants from Courtyard Downtown June 10-12th 2011

One of the restaurants you mentioned Tyfoon has closed.

German Village - if you like exposed brick - then have a look at G Michaels as a dinner option. It is between Pistacia Vera (must try) and the Book Loft.

Latitude 41 is good and does a lot of small plates. They try to source locally.

Basi Italia is great if it is Patio weather, but if you want to go there make sure you make a reservation as it is small. Deepwood and Rigsby's are among the cities best restaurants.

The North market is a great destination with a lot of good food options. The nice thing is that everyone can choose something different. Kitchen Little is a great breakfast option there.

Local microbreweries are: Elevator, Columbus Brewing Company and Barleys. They are all in walking distance. We also have a couple of local microdistilleries (Middle West and Watershed) and you can find their products at a lot of the local bars.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach
reviews: 28
7. Re: Restaurants from Courtyard Downtown June 10-12th 2011

I loved going to Gordan Biersch and sitting on the patio people watching. Arena District would be perfect for your group!

In German Village....there is a little bar on Beck St. (I think it is simply

called Beck St. Bar)...nothing fancy, older place, but gets a good crowd.

Stop there for one or six before heading on to other places. Lindeys is just a couple of blocks from there.

8. Re: Restaurants from Courtyard Downtown June 10-12th 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:10 am, April 17, 2011
9. Re: Restaurants from Courtyard Downtown June 10-12th 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 am, October 21, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Columbus