We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip for 2 or more to Columbus in August

Which Columbus hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lima
Trip for 2 or more to Columbus in August

I want to visit Columbus for my 21st birthday in August with my boyfriend and maybe a few friends. I want to go down Saturday morning with something to do in the afternoon, have a nice dinner Saturday night with possible drinks somewhere, and maybe a little something to do before heading home on Sunday late afternoon. I need suggestions on a hotel, preferrably a nicer hotel, possible historic. Also suggestions for the dinner location and drinks. And something to spend the afternoons doing. Thanks!!

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
reviews: 23
1. Re: Trip for 2 or more to Columbus in August

Are you going to be in Columbus during the Ohio State Fair? If so, go, especially if one or more of you have never experienced it.

If you want historic, few things are more historic in Columbus than German Village, one of the nation's largest historic restoration neighborhoods. The German Village Guest House is highly acclaimed.

http://www.gvguesthouse.com/

Things to do in the afternoon would include the Columbus Zoo, often ranked as one of the best in the nation, touring the Ohio Statehouse, take a Segway tour, walk around the Ohio State campus (check out the new, massive Ohio Union building). Near the Ohio State campus is North Market, which houses the original Jeni's ice cream store. There's also one on High Street.

German Village is the home of several of the best restaurants in Columbus, often with good bars, such as Barcelona, G. Michael's, and Lindey's. Schmidt's Restaurant and Sausage Haus also has music (typically an an accordion band playing polka and Buckeye favorites).

germanvillage.com/visitors-center/dining

Lindey's has a great Sunday brunch.

German Village also is a great place for a summer stroll on a Saturday evening. Schiller Park is magical at all times of day, transporting visitors back a century. The Book Loft, if you're a book lover, is open very late at night.

germanvillage.com/visitors-center/stroll/sch…

Short North, south of Ohio State on High Street is another dining/entertainment district.

http://www.shortnorth.org/

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g50226-Activitie…

Have fun!

Ohio
reviews: 79
2. Re: Trip for 2 or more to Columbus in August

I would suggest swinging by the North Market to wander around and eat lunch. Lots of good places for drinks. Barcelona is excellent. Nice, historic hotels in Columbus are rare and expensive. Maybe the Great Southern (I think it's a Westin now?)

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
reviews: 21
3. Re: Trip for 2 or more to Columbus in August

I've never stayed there (nor even checked it out), but the first thought that came to my mind was The Lofts (which I'm a little surprised is under B&Bs in TA?). It's located just south of the Convention Center, so Arena District & Short North Stuff (and even Downtown) are all an easy walk (5-15 minutes depending on exactly where you're going). This gives you a plethora of dining & drinking options.

I did do a quick glance at the some of the TA reviews of The Lofts and they seem mixed. Didn't check into how many postings/reviews etc. the reviewers have made (one thing I use to gauge the veracity of the review) nor did I check the timing (i.e. how recent they are and whether there seemed to be a shift that might be attributed to refurbishing and/or a change in management). You might want to consider these (and whatever other criteria you think appropriate regarding reviews) before making your decision.

It's worth noting that they are ranked as the #6 B&B in Columbus (out of 20) and, since you're looking for something special re: lodging you might want to check out some of the other B&Bs in general and see if they will work for you.

Lastly, I think this location in general is a pretty good one being close to Short North, etc. Given this, you might want to check out the Crowne Plaza which is right next door to The Lofts and is ranked 25 out of ~140 Columbus hotels. The Drury (nearby) is also well ranked, but I don't think it would approach the "special" you're desiring.

Hope this is helpful,

hlo

Columbus, Ohio
reviews: 1
4. Re: Trip for 2 or more to Columbus in August

The westin ( Great southern) is on the historic register and you also might be interested in the Hampton Inn which is close to the arena district and the Short north. Lots of places to eat and visit as far as recommendations go depending on your taste. Do a search on Trip advisor and also check out Experience Columbus.com for events going on at the time along with columbusalive.com. Also feel free to message me with any specifics. Have a good time!

Ohio
reviews: 79
5. Re: Trip for 2 or more to Columbus in August

I haven't been to The Lofts, but my sister loves it. Short North has a little more variety than German Village, but both are great to wander around. Bodega (High & 3rd) has a phenomenal beer selection, although it is difficult to get in without a wait. In GV, I like The Old Mohawk and Club 185. Schmidt's, of course, is a no-brainer.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
reviews: 21
6. Re: Trip for 2 or more to Columbus in August

I actually thought of the Hampton Inn; it is one of my favorites in the Convention Center area. That said, I don't think of it as anything particularly special so I didn't mention it. (And, I confess, I only mentioned the Crowne Plaza because I think of it as a more upscale chain.)

You might want to check out the Hampton, I'm pretty sure they have some suites that might make your stay a little special. Also, I believe it is one of the better TA ranked hotels in Columbus, but I didn't confirm this (or the ranking).

hlo

Columbus, OH
reviews: 2
7. Re: Trip for 2 or more to Columbus in August

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Residence Inn that's downtown. It's an all-suite hotel in the historic Buckeye Bank Building. (They incorporated some of the bank fixtures such as the vault and some safe-deposit boxes into the design of the lobby, too.) It's on Gay St,. making it within stumbling distance to some of the best downtown bars/restaurants (Tip Top, Due Amici, Bar 41) , or a quick and easy cab ride to the Short North, Arena District and/or German Villiage.

Some friends stayed there last fall and really liked it. They said the free breakfast was good, too.

marriott.com/hotels/…

I also like the Hampton Inn in the Short North and The Westin. The biggest drawback to the Westin is that it's not within walking distance of much.

8. Re: Trip for 2 or more to Columbus in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 25, 2011