We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive times

Which Columbus hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Drive times

Hi All,

Hoping for a little advice / local knowledge regarding a trip I have planned this weekend. I'm flying from Sydney to LAX and on to Ohio to see my beloved Bengals play in Cincinnatti (I know - but they ARE much better now!!!).

Unfortunately in order to save some $$ I purchased a LAX - Columbus flight and planned to simply hire a car in Columbus and drive down to Cincy. I arrive in Columbus at 4pm Saturday and fly out at 1045am Monday.

My "original" plan was to stay both Sat and Sun night in Cincinnati and make the drive back to Columbus Monday morning. I spoke to a buddy however who suggested Monday morning traffic might make this difficult.

The end result is I CANT miss my flight as Im connecting to an international return soon afterwards but would really like to stay in Cincy after the game (Few celebratory beers).

Questions therefore:

1. Drive time between Columbus and Cincy and is it in any way difficult.

2. Is staying in Cincy Sunday night "doable" and what time would you suggest I leave Monday morning to ensure I get to Columbus airport well in advance of my flight out?

Many thanks in advance.

Stuart

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
reviews: 65
1. Re: Drive times

Hey Stuart. i live in Cinci now, and before I moved here I lived in Columbus, and most of my family is still there, so i make the drive often. First big thing is, do you know where you're staying at in Cinci? If you're staying downtown by the stadium, it'll take you a good 2 hours to get between there and the Columbus airport. I'd give yourself 2 hours regardless for driving. you'll probably make it in less time, but just in case of monday mornign traffic in cinci. here's what I'd do if i were you and i wanted to stay downtown near the stadium at least 1 night...stay downtown on Saturday night, go tailgating and to the game on Sunday, then on Sunday night, stay on the northeast side of Cinci off of I-71 (Interstate 71), at the Fields Ertel Road OR Kings Mills exit. Columbus to Cinci and vice versa is a straight shot on I-71. If you stay on the northeast side on Sunday night, you'll save a lot on drive time when it comes to leaving on Monday morning.

So for leaving times...if you stay downtown on Sunday night, and your flight leaves Columbus at 10:45 and you'll want to be at the Columbus airport by 8:45, I'd leave the hotel by 6:30 am. If you stay on the northeast side off of I-71, I'd say you wouldn't have to leave for Port Columbus until 7:30.

feel free to ask any more questions, hope this helps!