We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunrise?

Which Cleveland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 57
Sunrise?

Anyone know of a good spot to watch the sunrise? I often see amazing ones on my drive to work but where can I go on a day off and watch it and take pics?

8 replies to this topic
Louisville, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
reviews: 127
1. Re: Sunrise?

Fairport Harbor may give you good view, I've gotten some nice photos there, but never of the sunrise. Looking at google maps, Headlands Beach State Park may give you an even better view, but I haven't tried it: https://maps.google.com/…

Heading the other direction from Cleveland, the east beach at Sheldon Marsh may also give a good view: https://maps.google.com/…

Closer to, or south of Cleveland, anywhere on the west side of the Cuyahoga River Valley may also provide a nice place to photograph the sunrise. Perhaps SR-82 in Brecksville area, just don't get hit by a car: http://goo.gl/maps/EgrXu

I ran the Bridge to Bridge 5k a few years ago and the US-6 / US-20 Bridge offers some nice views, but I am not sure what part of the Cleveland Skyline would be in the direction of the sunrise. If you go here, be careful of traffic: http://goo.gl/maps/NzXgp

The other bridge on that 5k was the Carnegie Ave bridge: http://goo.gl/maps/oPJ4B

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
reviews: 23
2. Re: Sunrise?

I've seen lots of sunsets in Greater Cleveland, but very few sunrises. :-)

Mike listed a lot of good possibilities, but the one place that I would check out is Wendy Park, where you could walk out to the old Coast Guard Station and possibly get some great pics of the sunrise over the Cleveland skyline.

http://wendypark.org/

Here's a shot from the adjacent Edgewater Park, so that appears to be a proven winner. It's a good slide show with some pics from Wendy Park.

ronskinnerphotography.com/Portfolio/Ohio-Par…

For any possible location, you can search, e.g., for "Cleveland sunrise images." You'll find a good slide show for sunrise at Cuyahoga Valley National Park.

Please let us know your favorites, and perhaps post a link.

Edited: 12:49 pm, July 27, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
3. Re: Sunrise?

Thanks for the ideas. Not sure about Headlands beach, I live in mentor and watch the sunset there all the time.

Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 66
4. Re: Sunrise?

There are two spots 10 minutes drive west of town at Edgewater Park that would work nicely. Both are on bluffs that overlook Lake Erie and the city. The first is in the park proper. Enter the Park from the West Shoreway , exiting at the Lake Avenue/Edgewater Drive Exit. Veer right toward Edgewater Drive as the ramp splits. Take a right at the stop sign on to West Blvd, and then an almost immediate right into the park. Do not go into the lower parking lot that you may see in front of you--make sure you take right up a little hill. The road will go up and curve around to the right. Park in the first lot on the right inside the park. Then walk toward the lake to the clearing on the bluff overlooking the city. You will know when you get to the where your need to be--it is spectacular, If you do not have a car, a taxi driver could find it with these directions but get a number so that the taxi driver can pick you up. In the alternative, take the short walk to Clifton Blvd. and catch the 55 bus back downtown but check the schedule. On a weekday morning the buses will be running downtown all of the time. It is only 7 or 8 minutes, The second place is also in Edgewater Park but it is in an "arm" of the park that juts westward into a residential area into which you will want to move once you see it. Because the bluff in this part of the park is higher and because the bluff protrudes more into the lake, this viewpoint may even be better for photos. Take the same route to Edgewater Park, exiting at West Blvd. Instead of taking a right at West Blivd. at the end of the ramp, go straight on Edgewater Drive after the stop sign. When you get to the next street that runs in from the right ( Cliff Drive), take a right on Cliff Drive. There is a house on the right hat looks like it should be in Tuscany where you take your right. Cliff Drive then curves around and a beautiful view of the city will come into view. You cannot park on Cliff Drive but I wanted you to know where the view point was if you wanted to drive by it first. If you have a taxi, have him leave you off there. If you have a car, then park in the lot for the first photo spot and then walk back the way you came and your will see Cliff Drive to your right and curving up toward the lake. You will see houses sitting up on hill--just follow the sidewalk as it curves around to the left. When you are on the bluff on Cliff Drive, you are on park property as long as you stay on the north side of Cliff Drive--which is actually where you want to be. All property to the north of the drive is park property. These spots are also good for sunset. I noticed that the sun appeared to be rising out of the lake or close out of the Lake this week but my guess is that in the fall or near to fall, it might come up in back of the city skyline--but it could nonetheless be spectacular. I jog through this park all of the time and love the views from the bluffs at any time of day. The park is now run by Metroparks ( our great county park system) and it is now kept in pristine condition with good ranger presence. On some mornings, there is free yoga down on the beach so after you take your photos, you could hang around for a free class if one is scheduled,

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
reviews: 23
5. Re: Sunrise?

BigBrion, wonderful info! Thanks.

ohio
reviews: 3
6. Re: Sunrise?

What about the outdoor deck at Pier W? Not sure about this one. Maybe other posters can weigh in . I think it's a clear shot looking east from their deck. Might be a good photo with the city skyline AND Lake Erie.

Cleveland, Ohio
7. Re: Sunrise?

I was thinking that too adirondackvisitor.

Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 66
8. Re: Sunrise?

The deck on the top of Pier W could definitely work The skyline of the city is more distant but there is also more of the lake between the photographer and the skyline, which might lend itself to some different photo opportunities.

Reply to: Sunrise?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted