We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches in Cleveland

Which Cleveland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
2 posts
Beaches in Cleveland

I haven't found much about the beaches in Cleveland since it is right on Lake Erie. Are they worth the bother? Are they accessible?

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,252 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: Beaches in Cleveland

Edgewater Beach is the only public beach near downtown Cleveland. Check on the RTA website or call RTA to see if it has public transportation, if that is your question. I haven't been there since it was taken over from the state by the Cleveland Metroparks system, so I can't comment on whether it's worthwhile.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-c198218/Clevel…

When are you coming? Will you have a car? Do you want to swim or just explore?

There are several more beaches within 45 minutes if you will have a car.

2 posts
2. Re: Beaches in Cleveland

Coming to town on Monday. Yes we have a car and yes to swimming.

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,252 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: Beaches in Cleveland

See Lake Erie beaches in the following travel article:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-s407/Cleveland…

On very hot days, especially on weekends, Huntington Beach can be crowded. Huntington, Mentor and Fairport Harbor are 30-40 minutes from downtown.

If you visit Edgewater, read about the adjacent Wendy Park in the "Cleveland Tips" article linked in post 1. It doesn't have swimming, but you might enjoy exploring it.

Edited: 8:42 pm, July 15, 2014
Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,252 posts
30 reviews
4. Re: Beaches in Cleveland

In Bay Village (Huntington), Mentor (Mentor Headlands), and Fairport Harbor TA "Things to Do," you can read reviews of the beaches. Go to the destination forums for these cities, then in the left upper right margin, click on the destination's name.

Brooklyn, Ohio
Level Contributor
494 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Beaches in Cleveland

Edgewater Beach has VASTLY improved since the Cleveland Metroparks took over. We were there tonight for the free concert (free concert every Thursday evening during the summer).

The beach is much wider and the sand is well groomed. When the state was in control of the beach, it seemed like they never groomed the sand and 75% of the beach was ignored and unusable. 100% of the beach is now groomed and usable. We were very impressed!

We have always been partial to Huntington Beach, but I think Edgewater now has that beat.

Edited: 2:04 am, July 18, 2014
Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,252 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: Beaches in Cleveland

Wendy, I suspected that, but wasn't going to make that conclusion. Thanks for the update!

It's disgusting IMO that Cuyahoga County has over 10 percent of the Ohio's population but that the state can't maintain one first rate park in the county. The money that the Cleveland Metroparks spends on Edgewater obviously limits resources for other projects, such as improving the zoo.

Cleveland, OH
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
286 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: Beaches in Cleveland

Make sure you check here for water quality advisories:

…ohio.gov/BeachGuardPublic/Default.aspx

While the water quality of Lake Erie is vastly improved over past decades, if there is very heavy rain, the wastewater sewage systems, particularly around large cities like Cleveland, cannot handle the volume and sewage is released into the lake. So just be careful.

I'm not a beach person at all, but I would recommend Mentor Headlands Beach, the longest beach on Lake Erie, located about 30 miles east of downtown.

Zanesville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Beaches in Cleveland

We have been to Geneva-on-the-lake a few times. Its always been very nice.

9. Re: Beaches in Cleveland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 22, 2015